Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just really could use some encouragement.
Ever sense I brought Puk home (he is 5months now) I have worked steadily with him on not pulling on his leash. I told my husband what he needs to be doing when he walks Puk and thought he was doing it right. I (stupidly) didn't take the time to hide and observe to make sure sense he said he was very clear on it after watching me walk him several times.
Well after over a month of patiently working with him and staying positive, I hurt myself and the most I could do for walks was fallow along while Barry walked Puk. Come to find out, he hasn't been doing anything right. *sigh* And I mean letting Puk pull, to dragging him behind him. I corrected him when we got inside, and re-explained what to be doing, and continued to fallow on walks until he finally got it right.
This was 3 days ago that he finally started walking him the way I asked him to to break him of the pulling. Well today my dear Puk pulled so hard he knocked me on my bum. I am trying so hard not to scream because in my mind I have been working with him on this for over a month, but I also know that really the training is just now beginning because until now he was still "getting away with it" when Barry walked him, and he finally has the consistency he needs.
I guess I just really need someone to tell me I'm not alone in this, and things will get better.
(for anyone that is wondering I have been using the tree method along with varying the pace we are walking so he doesn't get board)
(and sorry for the half rant)

·
Registered
761 Posts
You aren't alone! Hubby and I viewed things differently until just a little while ago. Fearghas was getting no where with training and I wondered why he would do things for me and not for hubby. Come to find out he's using different commands. So no wonder the poor pup wasn't doing anything. We now are on the same page with commands and Fearghas is actually listening and *sometimes* doing what we ask. It will come. Now that you are both doing the same thing.

What are you using to walk Puk? Fearghas on a harness will pull til the cows come home. On a collar he's better. When we go somewhere I want to have absolute control of him because he's still such a puppy and the slightest thing gets him excited I use a halti on him. We use it when going to pet smart or the park where there might be children around and Fearghas doesn't understand he's almost 60lbs and out weighs the little ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, its good to hear I'm not the only one, makes me feel a bit better.
I use a standard flat collar at all times, unless like you said its something that I know I will need compete control (petco, parking lot of my work, ect) I use his harness/seatbelt so he can't get hurt. (when he is really excited he will pull until he makes himself sick, so make sure to have him in the harness when those type of situations can arise)
It took some time just to get Barry on the same page as me when it comes to training, he seemed to believe that chokes, force, punishment, ect were the only way to properly train a dog even tho he has never had one himself. But a good 3 hour long session of showing (videos) and explaining to him what that type of training can do to a dog he is fallowing my lead on positive reinforcement.
Still trying to get him to stop telling Puk down when he means off. I feel like a parrot with that one. "Barry its down not off, down is when you want him to lay down, off is all four paws on the floor"

·
Registered
573 Posts
Don't worry. You are not alone, and he will get there eventually. Training just takes time and is an ongoing process.
As for the "other half" - I got lucky that my man was a "clean slate" when we met, never had a dog before and hadn't really interacted with them much. So I "trained" him the way I liked :D. My friends who have 5 dogs between the two of them split them up into "his" dogs and "her" dogs. So both of them get to train their dogs to the point they want them, then show the other one how they are handled, and only after that will the other partner take them out by themselves. If both partners are inconsistent, it sometimes seems easier to have one main trainer.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
761 Posts
Its as much as training the human as the dog. Hubby would do the same thing. Say down when he should have said off. I even do it myself sometimes. But after he would say down, I'd say off. Both dog and human would look at me. Eventually after correcting hubby he got it. Now if only Fearghas would....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both of you. I'm feeling a bit better about it now. I know Puk will eventually get it, and Barry will start remembering all of it given time. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts