Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everyone's thoughts about Frontline Plus vs Frontline Gold flea and tick prevention programs? I was recently told that Plus doesn't cover all stages of the insects' life cycles, so Gold was a better bet. If anyone has used Plus and been happy with it, I'd be interested in hearing about that, too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Coming back to say my neighbor uses Advantix on their dog and seems happy with it. That is not a brand our vet recommended, though. Thoughts on this brand welcome as well...thanks!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Advantix did not work for us, fleas didn't seem to even notice it. Samantha has had reactions to every oral anti-flea med we tried, some were really scary, frontline + works and she tolerates it well, so no way am I going to try anything else. She gets heart-gard every month, which she also tolerates.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read that Advantix hasn't worked for a number of dogs. Their dog is primarily inside and in the yard, so maybe it's been ok for him since he isn't out and about often. We take ours for walks on our bike trail which in some spots has lots of overgrowth on the sides, and for walks all over. So I want to make sure we have a product that will really protect Carly. I am leaning toward Frontline Plus right now.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Samantha too, is a house dog, we go for at least a one mile walk every morning, but the rest of the day she is inside, or goes out in our little yard/patio. Damn fleas seem to be able to breed anywhere, and where we live, its potentially a year round problem, though I typically do not medicate her with Frontline+ from November through March, unless I see something going on. Heartgard is year round, as if they ever get heart worms, its hell to treat, much easier to prevent.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carly is on Heartguard. No issues with that at all. I just had a convo with an employee at PetSmart and she said she feels Frontline isn't as effective as it used to be. Funny, she recommended Advantix or the Sorento flea collar. Sometimes having so many choices is really confusing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts