Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I don't generally like to post anything that is even remotely political because inevitably fanatics have to impose themselves on everyone. This however, has become a sad/funny and ongoing situation for my neighbor now for months.

My neighbor is a Trump supporter and has had several Trump signs out on his yard now since before he became the R nominee. Now I say several signs, but he only has one out at any given time. His signs have been stolen, vandalized, but most amusing is someone who has knocked the sign over and trained their dog(s) to do their business directly on the sign.

My neighbor is an older guy and honestly, I like him. I think this election is just picking whoever is going to do the least damage, so I don't fault Clinton or Trump supporters.

The act has always occurred in the wee hours of the morning and my neighbor had never caught the person doing it. He didn't want to sabotage or electrify the sign because he, and I agree, didn't want to injure a dog for the acts of their owner.

Well, last Monday morning Jerry (the old man) and I got up early to go fishing. His sign was untouched yet so he thought maybe he got lucky. While we were loading up our gear into my Buick a college kid came walking around the corner with his border collie and we immediately made eye contact. He paused for a second and then kept approaching, overtly acting non-chalante. As he came closer, his dog started pulling hard on the leash trying to get onto the old man's yard.

The kid tried to write it off like we were too stupid to know what had happened. He tried to deny it and got more and more hostile. I finally got tired of his attitude and walked right up to him and unleashed his dog. She immediately ran onto the neighbors yard and tried to knock down the sign, going back and forth between the sign he was pawing and the now quiet and scared owner.

He had trained the dog so much to crap on the sign that the dog was now only wanting to do what she did naturally.

When he realized that he was busted he was embarrassed. When he found out that the house belonged to an 83 year old widower, he was ashamed.

Jerry, feeling for the poor girl who was now fully whining and in obvious distress walked back to his yard and slowly pulled his sign out, laying it on the ground. The dog immediately did her business and ran proudly back to her owner. Jerry walked the mess and sign to his garbage can as he did many times before. He opened his side garage door and pulled out a new sign that he placed back in the ground.

The kid apologized and walked off and Jerry's signs have never been messed with since.

No real moral to this, just wanted to share it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
WOW! That's hilarious! I think everyone has the right to vote for whoever they want. I'm not a fan of either candidate. But to go as far as vandalizing someone's things on their own property? That's tacky.

Thanks for sharing! :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's a funny story of sorts... but in the future please do not unleash a strange dog. I know you were probably mad and trying to make a point, but you had no way of knowing if the dog would come back. I have owned dogs most of my life, and even if they were trained to poop in a certain spot, not all had good recall especially the huskies and malamutes that were adopted as adults. No shaming of the guilty is worth endangering a dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
You say that, but you have no guarantee that you could have, particularly before the dog got hit by a car. Ever had your pet hit by a car? Because I have. If you had done this to me, I would have called the police on you.

It's unacceptable to TOUCH my dog without permission, particularly if he is leashed, and as much as I don't like being the "party pooper" on a thread, unleashing someone else's dog in this sort of situation is beyond irresponsible. It's also illegal in places with leash laws, which most towns have.

Yes, what he had his dog do was pretty bad (it it really happened) but it did not endanger any living things. Your actions were much worse than his.

I can't make you change your behavior, but this is a forum and I CAN express my opinion, and that is that your actions were inexcusable and show a lack of care for the safety of the dog in question. I'm honestly shocked that other dog lovers here have not expressed the same.

Clearly you and I disagree; that's the beauty of a Forum, we get to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts