Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Bus a Ruffwear front range harness a few weeks ago, but he's between sizes, and the neck is too big. I was just going to use it as a regular harness for him, and was curious whether it would be ok for him to track in also (I have two other tracking appropriate harnesses, and can't find either! :( ). It does, however, fit Roxie (my parents' dog), and I've been using it for her, but using the little loop on the front because she's a puller (in the worst, zigzagging, ADD dog way) when we first start our walks. I was using either Bus' Freedom no pull harness , or just a leash wrap until she settled down, but this works just as well, and seems less restrictive than the FNP, which has the typical front clip strap across the chest. Once she slows down (she's a chunk, so after a few blocks, she loses her zip), I switch it back to the regular harness loop, but I actually like it quite a bit.

I've worked with her some on loose leash walking, but really don't have the time or inclination to do too much, and she's not the easiest dog to work with because she's high energy, but not in any way that is easily directed, and has no useful drive. She doesn't play with toys or other dogs, has minimal food drive (that's not going to change as long as my mom overfeeds her twice daily :rolleyes:), and has zero interest in us if there's anything else going on. She does like to chase cats, but that doesn't help me much :). My parents don't care that she pulls because they never walk her, but she likes going, I feel bad to take Bus only when she's excited too, and she needs the exercise for sure.

Anyway, I was curious whether anyone knows of any other Y front, front clip harnesses? I've tried to search, but haven't had a ton of luck. I'm not a big fan of the loop on the front range being nylon for bigger dogs, though it's fine for my guys. I suppose one could also use just a regular harness, and hook the leash to the o ring in the chest. I do occasionally use a no pull harness for Bus if we are out (dog events, etc), particularly when my cousin is walking him, as she has balance issues already and has a harder time controlling him if he gets excited and pulls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyway, I was curious whether anyone knows of any other Y front, front clip harnesses?
Have you tried an Easy Walk harness? Great for stopping pulling...worked on my siberian husky (bred to pull) right away. You just want to be careful about when they jump/lunge at something, as it can trip them a bit. Here's a link to buy on Amazon.

Otherwise, extraordinarily helpful at helping them walk more calmly without hurting their necks.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I recently spent a bunch of time looking into front clips since I needed one to help with Sawyers training. Almost everything I saw was marketed as no pull which most of them by design have the girth piece pretty close to the front legs which Sawyer doesn't like the feel of and he doesn't have much hair under his arm pits so I wanted to avoid chaffing.
After lots and lots of looking I ended up going with this one, the brand of the harness doesn't sell directly off of amazon so not all the colors will be listed together, but you can get the colors blue, pink, black, green and orange. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FRGASZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its not Sawyers favorite harness ever (not that he enjoys wearing any of his lol) but its similar to ruffwear in design, and the reflective stiching is pretty bright. I'm not in love with the fit since it still sits closer to his front legs then I would like (probably because he was on the cusp of two sizes), but since its just for training and not his main harness I don't mind.
This is the same brand but slightly different design https://www.amazon.com/DOOVE-Reflective-Vest-Medium-Black/dp/B01F9CEATA/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473566456&sr=1-4&keywords=true+love+dog+harness

Kurgo also has some front clips you can look into. You can also look into alpine outfitters, its a bit more expensive but you can get custom made harness and have them add a front (they also offer sides) D rings to their urban trail harness. There are probably some other really good ones out there that I completely forgot about. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I had the same problem with the front range (neck too big) with my dogs.
Also have had some clients with the same issue. Seems that it fits some well and others really poorly.

Take a look at the walk in sync to see if that's along the lines of what you want.
https://www.dogwalkinsync.com/

·
Registered
805 Posts
Is the walk in sync much different from the Freedom No Pull? It looks very similar except without the velvet leg straps or the martingale loop on the back.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both the Chai's Choice and the Walk in Sync look like they would be good. I really don't need anything right now, but I recommend front clip harnesses to a lot of people (as the least aversive control device out of pinch collar, head halter, and front clip harness), though I'm always a little torn when the people indicate that they want to hike, run, etc with their dogs, as I feel like the front clip with the horizontal chest strap isn't the best design for that sort of activity. I had seen that some Kurgo harnesses have a front clip ring, Bus actually has a Kurgo harness (it's one of the missing :( ), but his was bought before they added the front clip ring. Forgot about the Urban Trail, too, but he has one custom harness which he's put through the wringer, so I hate to spend money on another til it's good and dead :)

I'll probably still try the smaller size front range for Bus, and keep the bigger one for wearing over a coat, and for Roxie. Hopefully it fits ok, and the front ring will be a useful bonus feature.

Regarding y front vs horizontal strap across chest: This article got me thinking about it: The No-Pull Debate | Whole Dog Journal , and I do suspect it can limit some dogs' stride, though I'm not sure how detrimental that is. Bus already has a pretty straight front and short stride, and I haven't noticed a huge difference in his gait, though I do have problems sometimes with him stepping over the leash with a front clip. I recommend front clip harnesses over the prong collars and head halters (for people who need help maintaining physical control over their dogs, or want to use some sort of device to reduce pulling) because I think they tend to be less aversive to the dog and have a smaller window for grievous harm due to human error/misuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts