Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got Pikel (year and a few months old, pit/boxer we think, LOTS of energy...go figure!) a front attach harness and LOVE it. Walks are SO much better now. He heels better, he doesn't pull, etc. etc.

The problem is that even though walks are better now, they still don't tire him out. We're thinking getting a backpack/adding weights would help. However, I haven't seen any front attach backpacks. Would it be safe/acceptable to somehow add weights to his harness? It's this one: Top Paw™ Training Walking Harness for Dogs - Collars, Harnesses & Leashes - Dog - PetSmart Looking at it now, I'm not sure where we could add weights. Are there any backpacks we could use in tandem with the harness?? Any ideas?

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
There are other things you can be doing on top of walks to tire him out. Lots of training/brain work helps (learning new tricks, commands, etc). Tug and fetch are good ones as well, or you could use a flirt pole.

I doubt it's safe to attach weight with a front clip harness. He needs to learn to walk on a loose leash with a back clip before I would add any weight. It can take some time, and there are better ways to tire him out so I probably wouldn't recommend that route.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We do a decent amount of mental exercise (including getting all his meals in a Wobbler) and I try to keep thinking up new things to try. I just watched the "It's Yer Choice" video and that gave me a few new ideas to try, even though he's pretty darn good at "leave it." He's super hit-or-miss, usually miss, with toys in general. Occasionally he'll be interested in his tub toys, but lately he just hasn't really cared. Unless it's shredding the rope part. If he's interested in a toy, he'll go get it, but he won't return it. It's more of throw-and-chase. Nothing wrong with that, but it tires me out a lot faster than it tires him! We do also have a flirt pole, but again, lately he's been not so interested in that either. Even when he is, it doesn't tire him out as much as I want it to.

I feel like there should be some way to tire him out more effectively. I took him on an hour and 15 min walk the other day and saw minimal effect. He happily snagged an empty toilet paper from somewhere and shredded it, then got into our bedroom garbage (my fault for leaving the gate open while doing laundry) and shredded some kleenex. And still had energy. Darn high energy puppies. :)

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Maybe try bathing the toy on your flirt pole in a broth to make it smell more interesting?

You might also be doing too much for him. Shredding/destructive behavior is boredom AND stress related, so if he doesn't get enough of a chance to unwind (does running help him relax? it does for my husky, but she's crazy XD) or what about getting into massage to see if it helps him relax his muscles/stress levels? What other training do you do than feeling meals in a kong wobbler? I find that just keeps them busy rather than tires them out mentally, once they know how to get the kibble out. You might also want better treats for training sessions, to make them more interesting/tiring mentally.

Socialization can sometimes be considered stressful too. There IS such thing as too much of a good thing.

Balance is hard :S We struggled for MONTHS finding what worked for us, and overdoing it one day just leads right into the next...and vice versa. At first I overdid it EVERY day with 4-5 hours of walking, another 2-3 hours of playing/training...and I had no idea it was overdoing it, since she's a husky/GSD mix which are both high energy breeds.

Does he pant a lot? This can be a sign or stress or over-excitement, rather than overheating sometimes. And sometimes its both.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that's something I'd never considered...though we haven't been doing much of anything the past few months as it's been frigidly cold in MN and he has super short hair. Though I suppose it could be too much too fast. I've only taken him to the dog park once this year (again, too cold...) and he doesn't get much other chance for socialization with other dogs so I'm sure it's not too much socialization. Massage is an intriguing idea as well. Can't hurt to look up some info. He doesn't pant much at all. He does some paw licking, but never (so far, knock on wood) to the point of any kind of visible damage. And generally only when he's curled up in his chair while waking up or settling down.

We do play with him a LOT, mainly because he pesters us a lot. I usually sit at our kitchen table with my laptop and he usually pesters me there. After making him sit and wait while I finish what I'm doing, with varying degrees of success..., we play with something, be it a toy or a plastic bottle (supervised closely, of course). He's generally in his kennel from 8:45 or so til sometime between 12 and 1, and then gated downstairs with a frozen pb kong twice a week while I teach a 30 min piano lesson upstairs. Otherwise, he has full access to being a pest. A loveable pest...but a pest. It doesn't seem like we'd be overdoing it, as he gets generally 45-90 minutes of walking a day, depending on if it's one or two walks, and then possibly a flirt pole session? It is still a possibility though...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
If a dog won't return an object that I throw, I teach them to 'find' and 'bring' the object. Lex and Toby both have their times when they abandon toys in favour of something else. That's cool, just so long as they find and retrieve it so that I can put it away or chuck it again.

Also, including a reward in fetch keeps dogs coming back, even if it's something low-value like a treat every 2nd or 3rd time.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Have you considered weight pulling? I don't know too much about it, but it's basically putting a dog in a specific pulling harness (like an X Back sleddog harness) and attach weight behind the dog. I would look into safety with this too and not putting too much weight.

I skikjor with my dogs and it's the only thing that has made my 1.5 year old Border Collie pass right out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts