Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I am getting my first corgi puppy in a few months and I've been researching dog food like crazy. From what I've read, Fromm seems like a good brand that is worth trying. However, a few things are concerning me regarding the Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy formula. For example, the CA/PH ratio is 1.1:1, which is technically within the proper range (1.1:1-1.5:1), but it is on the lower end. Also, this specific formula has 2.7 g of calcium per 1000 kcals of food, which is slightly outside the recommended range for a large breed puppy food (3.0-4.5). I may seem over cautious, but I want to provide the best possible food for my puppy! I would love some advice from owners who are educated on this specific topic (CA/PH, large breed puppy food requirements, Etc) and/or hear the experience of owners whom have used this specific formula! In addition, I received the info on the CA/PH ratio and G per 1000 kcal's from Dogfoodadvisor.com. I'm assuming it is a reliable source of information, but if these ratio's are not correct please let me know!

Btw, Large breed puppy food is highly recommended for corgi's because of the nutritional requirements of the breed while they are young/growing. I did not just choose it randomly :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
hello fellow corgi owner! I was on the same boat as you! I now have had my corgi for 5 days and he's still on the breeder's kibble mixed in with Fromm 4* Surf and Turf. Slowly trying to wean him off the breeder provided food. Yes large breed or all stages food is what I feed him as well. I am avoiding puppy food because corgis can easily put on weight, and with stubby little legs, I have to make sure his growing is gradual to avoid future problems so I chose food that isn't too high in protein. There's several arguments about this and whether or not it's good for corgis or not but I went ahead and did it anyway. At the end, it really doesnt matter as long as he's healthy and not starving.

I would go with Fromm 4*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.