Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
A few things to consider since he's been outdoors all the time;

a) he may be fearful of inside, the floor surface, noises, light, having a door shut him in could stress him out.
b) expect him not to have house manors e.g. He might jump up to get food, bother you at dinner chew on everything.
c) he may not be housetrained.

To help:
a) introduce indoors slowly. I'd start by playing a fun game outside then leave the door open and do a job inside, ignoring him. That way it's his choice to come in to see you and there is no pressure to stay. You can also use rugs and non slip surfaces to help him feel more comfortable on wood and Lino floors.

b) decide what is okay and what is not. Is jumping on the sofa okay? Think of alternate behaviors you want in situations. For example I'm teaching my pup to go to her mat and relax while we eat. Enrol in some positive dog training classes, they are super helpful to build a bond and help deal with problems before they become extreme.

c) supervise indoors! Treat him like a puppy, huge rewards for potty outside, take him out regularly until training clicks and ignore accidents. Great sticky here.

You may have none of these problems but they are worth considering, going indoors sounds lovely to us but it can be a shock to dogs.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.