Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am soon adopting a 3 year old dog who lived in a backyard all his life, he is currently an outside dog, not allowed in the house AT ALL. He is treated well, well fed and all. But when I take him, he will be in doors.

I have never owned a dog before and I am pretty anxious about it.

- Is it a good idea to sleep with the lights off?
- Will he be chewing on wires
- will he chew on my stuff????

Also the dog is epileptic. He has to take 6 pills a day. His episodes are horrible and heartbreaking. Poor boy cries after his seizure asking us to make it stop. Poor baby!

He is also a smart boy, he doesn’t like taking his pills. He spits them out or sometimes refuses to eat food that has the pill crushed in.

Any tips on getting an outside dog into a home that will now let him in???

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
A few things to consider since he's been outdoors all the time;

a) he may be fearful of inside, the floor surface, noises, light, having a door shut him in could stress him out.
b) expect him not to have house manors e.g. He might jump up to get food, bother you at dinner chew on everything.
c) he may not be housetrained.

To help:
a) introduce indoors slowly. I'd start by playing a fun game outside then leave the door open and do a job inside, ignoring him. That way it's his choice to come in to see you and there is no pressure to stay. You can also use rugs and non slip surfaces to help him feel more comfortable on wood and Lino floors.

b) decide what is okay and what is not. Is jumping on the sofa okay? Think of alternate behaviors you want in situations. For example I'm teaching my pup to go to her mat and relax while we eat. Enrol in some positive dog training classes, they are super helpful to build a bond and help deal with problems before they become extreme.

c) supervise indoors! Treat him like a puppy, huge rewards for potty outside, take him out regularly until training clicks and ignore accidents. Great sticky here.

You may have none of these problems but they are worth considering, going indoors sounds lovely to us but it can be a shock to dogs.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
That's definitely a big step to take on a epileptic previously outdoor dog as your first dog. But I think its awesome that you are :).
I agree with a lot of what Chas said. The other thing I want to point out is that because he was an outside dog there's a good chance that he isn't house trained. I think investing in a crate and crate training him might be a good idea and very helpful in your case.
As for your questions, yes it is fine sleeping with the lights off. As for the other two, those just depend on the dog. Some get into things, some are more likely maybe stealers and chewers some not at all. Just make sure your vary good at supervising him to make sure he doesn't get into anything. Having a variety of toys to play with will also help give him something to do.
Basically I think for now, just don't expect to much of him and take it slow. Some dogs adjust quickly and really well, others take a little longer.
As for the pills, I know they sell pill pockets at the petsore. Maybe he would be more willing to take his pills in those.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts