Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I confess I've been lurking around the forums reading posts on training, caring and day to day living with specific breeds. So today I thought that perhaps I should close ranks with a community of fellow dog enthusiasts.

Maybe it's their goofiness or their undying loyalty but I've loved dogs ever since I was a child. Something about their spirit seems to resonate with a deeper side of me which I cannot explain. Just watching a dog gamboling around their owner excitedly at a park with a tennis ball in its mouth is enough make me smile on a bad day. Their zest for life is remarkable!

Unfortunately, I happened to be part of a family that doesn't like dogs very much (mostly because my parents didn't like cleaning up after them) so I ended up spending my childhood devoid of their companionship. I'd go to parks sometimes and look enviously at people and their pets, yes even at the ones going on their daily mandatory walks! So I promised myself that when I became an adult I'd own a dog of my very own and ONLY after I've done enough research on the breeds I'm interested in and learning about the proper care and training required to provide my dog with a life that's comfortable and fulfilled.

So I signed up on the forum to learn as much as possible from fellow dog lovers and breeders. I'm waiting to be at a stage in my life where I'm ready to own a dog responsibly. It may take a couple of years before I'm finally ready for one but I'd rather spend that time preparing myself than diving in headfirst without an iota thought as to what I'm getting myself into. I despise irresponsible dog owners and don't wish to be associated with them or *shudders* labeled as one!

Woops I think I should stop my passionate ranting. Once again hello to everyone!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome! :) I've been a longtime lurker on this forum too, just finally joined a week or so ago. It's amazing how much you can learn on here :)

Passionate ranting is the best part of the forum though :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome so far everyone :)

I definitely agree that it's a treasure trove of info here, especially the stickies at the training section. I've learnt things I wouldn't have other wise known (puppy depression wasn't even in my lexicon!!) and I'm so glad there's actually a recommended reading list on dog training books! Makes it easier to know what's worth reading.

Coupled with the fact that you have years worth of experience from owners and breeders readily available for troubleshooting anything your pup/dog could throws at you, it's certainly a dog enthusiast's dream come true!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a fellow dogless dog-lover. I got involved in just the right line of part-time self employment for our ilk, and I seriously think it might be years before I get a dog now. It's pretty hard to justify buying your own when you get paid to play with puppies every day :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum from a fellow dogless dog-lover. I got involved in just the right line of part-time self employment for our ilk, and I seriously think it might be years before I get a dog now. It's pretty hard to justify buying your own when you get paid to play with puppies every day

Ha ha I'd agree too if I were in your shoes! Does your day care deal with puppies exclusively or adult dogs as well?

I'd like to gripe that it seems pretty darn tough to own a puppy when you're single, have a full time job and no family member that is willing to help out. The odds are certainly stacked against me for now T_T

Of course I'm not against adopting an older dog and in fact I can see a lot of benefits of owning one! The only drawback is that you only get to enjoy them for a little while more compared to the full package that is a puppy!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Ha ha I'd agree too if I were in your shoes! Does your day care deal with puppies exclusively or adult dogs as well?

I'd like to gripe that it seems pretty darn tough to own a puppy when you're single, have a full time job and no family member that is willing to help out. The odds are certainly stacked against me for now T_T

Of course I'm not against adopting an older dog and in fact I can see a lot of benefits of owning one! The only drawback is that you only get to enjoy them for a little while more compared to the full package that is a puppy!
I actually walk them, but in the future I might start boarding 1 or 2 at a time at my place. I deal mostly with younger dogs because they are the ones that need all the extra playtime. My favourite thing about young adult and adult dogs is that they are a lot more "plug n play". With puppies you can't really "do dog stuff" with them, like go on big long walks/hikes or go to the dog park, until they are much older. Having a puppy is nice but a lot of it is getting stuff chewed on, frequent potty breaks and random, quick spurts of energy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually walk them, but in the future I might start boarding 1 or 2 at a time at my place. I deal mostly with younger dogs because they are the ones that need all the extra playtime. My favourite thing about young adult and adult dogs is that they are a lot more "plug n play". With puppies you can't really "do dog stuff" with them, like go on big long walks/hikes or go to the dog park, until they are much older. Having a puppy is nice but a lot of it is getting stuff chewed on, frequent potty breaks and random, quick spurts of energy.
Those are interesting perspectives and i definitely agree about the plug and play part.

I really like how you aptly summarized what a puppy is at the end. It made me chuckle :D

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Welcome! No need to apologize for passionate ranting, I am a pretty proud dog stalker. I'll talk to anyone, anytime about their dog. In fact, I'm quite sure I'm mildly creepy. :]

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome! No need to apologize for passionate ranting, I am a pretty proud dog stalker. I'll talk to anyone, anytime about their dog. In fact, I'm quite sure I'm mildly creepy. :]
Glad to know I'm not the only :D

I get all excited when I see a rare breed and start reciting their names under my breath. Most people are quite taken aback when I tell them right off the bat what breed theirs is without asking.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Today my boss was working and I know he has dogs and he's pretty into them (trains schutzhund and scent work and all that fun stuff) and I said "so what are your dogs names?" And we literally talked about dogs for half an hour. It was marvelous, I love dogs. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today my boss was working and I know he has dogs and he's pretty into them (trains schutzhund and scent work and all that fun stuff) and I said "so what are your dogs names?" And we literally talked about dogs for half an hour. It was marvelous, I love dogs. :)
Hmm i find the average pet owner in my country only likes to talk about how cute their dogs are. But ask them about breed history and which breeder they got their dog from, they'd just say they don't know or the pet store (a BIG NO NO in my books). So it's nice that you can talk to your boss at that level you described.

The only people I've had really engaging conversations IRL are with breeders at breed exhibitions. You learn so much from them in terms managing behaviour from puppy to adulthood and how to cope with the dreaded teenage years!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hmm i find the average pet owner in my country only likes to talk about how cute their dogs are. But ask them about breed history and which breeder they got their dog from, they'd just say they don't know or the pet store (a BIG NO NO in my books). So it's nice that you can talk to your boss at that level you described.

The only people I've had really engaging conversations IRL are with breeders at breed exhibitions. You learn so much from them in terms managing behaviour from puppy to adulthood and how to cope with the dreaded teenage years!
Haha it's not a usual occurrence. In fact I think he's the first person I've met that's THAT into their dogs. The only other person I enjoy talking about dogs with is a girl at the dog park :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts