Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, long story, but an upsetting incident happened this weekend and wanted to put the details in.

A friend of mine (although we're not close) has an 8 year old small schnauzer. The schnauzer doesn't like big dogs, and will snap if a big dog gets too close to him. When my mastiff mix was a pup, he learned this the hard way when he enthusiastically sniffed him...her dog snapped and nipped at mine. I was understanding about it...her dog is old, probably annoyed by my dog's puppy energy, and some small dogs act out of fear of a big dog...anyways, my boy is smart, and learned to keep his distance from this dog whenever we saw them. So no big deal.

But then....This weekend. My friend and her dog came to stay with us in a small cabin. It was only for one night, and my dog knows well enough to stay away from her dog, so I didn't think it was an issue. But what I did NOT know and only found out this weekend...her dog guards her and is reactive when another dog, big or small, gets close to her. (we've mostly had leashed walks with our dogs before, walking side by side, so the issue just never came up before).

The first incident happened when my dog walked up close to her (he's friendly to everyone and just saying hello). Her dog was next to her and just lunged, snarled (not sure if he tried to bite). It still didn't click in for me that her dog was guarding her at this point, so I thought I'd work on keeping the two dogs apart the rest of the evening. The second incident, her dog wasn't exactly near her, and my dog came up to her, her dog saw this and then ran across the room to attack my dog. It was only then that I realized her dog was 'guarding' her, and she then admitted that her dog has always had a habit of doing this and attacks dogs who get too close to her (errrr, yeah, she never thought to tell me this before! I learned her dog has bit other dogs before too, enough to draw blood from their muzzle)

Now knowing this, I kept a closer eye on my dog, watchful of him getting close to her (which was very hard, because I was cooking dinner for the group AND we were in a small cabin). I was able to keep him away most of the time, but alas, at one point, my dog went up to her seeking attention, and her dog attacked. Only this time, my dog reciprocated the attack (he had never reciprocated before). Omg. My 95 pd dog and her little schnauzer. The fight sounded scary. However, when I was able to seperate them, no skin was broken on either dog.

He has never, ever been in a dog fight before and he has never ever reacted back when a dog barks or even snaps at him. It seems he just got fed up with this particular dog being a sh*t to him throughout the evening.When I pulled my dog away from their dispute, he stopped, but then went forward to continue the attack! I stopped him.

Thank goodness my dog has good bite inhibition. As you can guess, my dog would have the upper hand in that dispute. Anyways, it kinda scared me a little - I understand my dog had to defend himself. But when I pulled him away, he wanted to go at the little dog again...?!!

For the rest of the evening and until the girl and her dog left the next day, I kept my dog on leash. It sucked for my dog because it was a vacation weekend I had set up for us.

Anyways, it would have been nice if she had told me her dog has a severe case of guarding her before bringing him over (according to her, her dog has always been like this since a puppy). And I know she was upset at my dog when he reciprocated the attack, mostly because of his size in comparison to her dog.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
She should have told you. But you have learned a valuable lesson: Don't invite people with dogs as house guests, because good dogs and friendships can be ruined by what you don't know, even though you are doing everything you should.
Your dog should be commended for showing forbearance, but things could have been much worse.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just wanted to commiserate it must have been somewhat of a dampener on what should have been a fun weekend. My dog got into his first fight last weekend, but he wasn't even close to being the instigator. The dog he loves most in the world (my DD's pitbull) hates a particular dog in their town. We were visiting and the dog came around, and the Pitbull attacked him. My dog was watching and getting agitated, so launched all 200 lbs of himself into the two dogs, sent them all flying off the porch. I called him off and he came to me IMMEDIATELY (so proud). My DD's partner was able to separate the two dogs. After the fight we inspected the Pitbull and notice blood on him but no wound, there was also blood on my dog. On closer inspection my boy had bit his own jowl!

It was quite the sight, it looked like schutzhund the way my guy went in!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
She should have told you. But you have learned a valuable lesson: Don't invite people with dogs as house guests, because good dogs and friendships can be ruined by what you don't know, even though you are doing everything you should.
Your dog should be commended for showing forbearance, but things could have been much worse.

Thank you, you are right...I will definitely not be as open in allowing people to bring their dogs over. I don't know fully what 'issues' their dog may have. Just too much of a headache. And even though my dog is not the initiator, he will be blamed for damage because of his size.

There was an incident last year at our housewarming party. We had just adopted our pup and he was just over 3 months old and we had him for 2 wks. Back then, our pup was a rough player who was still learning to play politely and handle his emotions (I knew this through taking him to puppy socialization classes). Anyways, one of my husband's friends brought their pup over without asking. At the party, our puppy would not leave that other dog alone and was a rough player. I was so busy already, but I had to watch my pup and seperate him from the other dog at times for a play break. Anyways, these people left the party in a huff and she yelled at me 'Your dog needs training". Excuse me? We just got him, he's 3 months old. You should not have brought your dog without asking to our house and party. (plus, their dog took a crap in the yard which they knew about and never cleaned up) Needless to say, I haven't talked to this couple again.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Gnostic Dog Sorry to hear about what happened...it must have been a sight. Sounds like your dog was the best at breaking up the fight though! Your dog is really good for coming back to you, especially when his adrenalin must have been running so high.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@Gnostic Dog - Mouth bites always bleed so much. My guy bit his own tongue once in play, bled forever.

My Aussie is pretty chill with other dogs, and would rather play-bow to diffuse tension then dish out a correction. He also runs away when he hears dogs getting into it. :p That being said, late last summer we were at the park playing fetch, and every time Levi would go for his ball, this horribly overweight pug would tear after him, snarling and biting him. Every single time. Levi would drop his ball, and run away (didn't have a ton of difficulty losing the pug...). The pug would lose interest. We tried moving to different areas, but to no avail. Finally, Levi had enough. He bared his teeth, and knocked the Pug over on his back, and let out a big bark. The pug ran away, and I got some serious stink-eye from the owner.

TL;DR - People are annoying.

Reactions: Gnostic Dog

·
Registered
662 Posts
@Gnostic Dog Sorry to hear about what happened...it must have been a sight. Sounds like your dog was the best at breaking up the fight though! Your dog is really good for coming back to you, especially when his adrenalin must have been running so high.
I made an interesting observation with regard to this, it seems when he is intensely attracted to something, ie the fight or he is barking like crazy at something, he will come to me immediately, transferring that attraction in an instant to me. If he is just milling around in the yard, he won't come to me with nearly the same amount of magnetic-like pull.

·
Registered
662 Posts
@Gnostic Dog - Mouth bites always bleed so much. My guy bit his own tongue once in play, bled forever.

My Aussie is pretty chill with other dogs, and would rather play-bow to diffuse tension then dish out a correction. He also runs away when he hears dogs getting into it. :p That being said, late last summer we were at the park playing fetch, and every time Levi would go for his ball, this horribly overweight pug would tear after him, snarling and biting him. Every single time. Levi would drop his ball, and run away (didn't have a ton of difficulty losing the pug...). The pug would lose interest. We tried moving to different areas, but to no avail. Finally, Levi had enough. He bared his teeth, and knocked the Pug over on his back, and let out a big bark. The pug ran away, and I got some serious stink-eye from the owner.

TL;DR - People are annoying.
I can't help but think good for you Levi for sticking up for yourself and not taking sh!t!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts