Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem? I've had Pax since he was 10 weeks old and have had the great fortune of being allowed to take him to work with me. Not only that, but I've had a great trainer help me along the way. He's had immense socialization and has been given the best doggy upbringing I could give him. I get to take him -almost- everywhere with me, and have had the support of my friends and family when he needed babysat. HOWEVER. He was super mouthy since day one. I was very diligent about discouraging and/or redirecting his mouthiness. But my friends and coworkers can't seem to listen when I say ABSOLUTELY NO mouthing. He's 8 months old now and knows not to be rough with his mouth, and he doesn't get mouthy with me at all anymore.

But for example, when I take him to my boyfriend's house, his dad (who LOVES dogs) wants to play with him and take him outside because his own dog is a super senior who has slowed waaay down and he loves the puppy playfulness. But he's always been SO bad about letting Pax gnaw on his arm. No matter how much I say USE A TOY, I'll turn around and catch him with his arm in Pax's mouth. So even with Pax getting better, there's certain people, like my bf's dad, who have let him do it in the past and therefor when Pax sees them, it's like all he sees is a rope toy. And I made a rule at work NO PETTING at all, but no one wanted to follow that rule and so I said no petting near the face and only slow petting. That's been working great! He's super calm. But guess who the two worst offenders are STILL? My bf and his dad. They want to just rough house with him and use their hands and so he gets super bitey with their legs and arms and then they're like "well I don't know why he bites me" and I'm so frustrated.

My trainer has said that if people won't listen, I shouldn't let them pet him at all, OR just leave him at home. But I really would hate to know he's at home all day in a crate when I have the means to bring him with me. Have you guys had to lay down the rules with people you care about, and if so, how'd you do it?

I find people get almost offended when I restrict their interactions with him as a lot of people have known him since a baby and I guess they feel entitled. And EVERY person older than me (I'm 21 but deal with older coworkers, friend's parents, etc) think they know better and don't respect my authority concerning my own dog (ESPECIALLY my bf's dad. I always get the "I've had dogs all my life" bit).

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I feel ya.. when Riley was a puppy I got into so many fights with my family, it was pretty bad. Hearing the phrase "train your dog." would just make my blood boil. They're not dog people at all, so they really had no idea much groundwork is needed for a well-rounded dog.

Any way, my advice would be to stick to your guns. He's your dog you should do whatever you think is best. I also found that it was much easier to train Riley than my family. So if they want to rough house with him, I let them. At the same time, I'd work on Riley's bite inhibition as well as calming down after being riled up. I guess it might've taken more time this way, but I found it a lot less stressful.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I think "no petting at all" would also be difficult for me, if it is a dog I have around me 8 hours a day even though I'd try to stick with it, if i knew the reason. ^^"
i think the changed rules are easier to follow.

I'D probably tell them once or twice and when they don't listen, doggie gets muzzled and leashed and stays with me for rest of the evening.
muzzled dog can't gnaw on arms. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.