Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I have an almost 2 year old GSD that has always been very sweet. I would take her on hikes, to stores, the dog park, puppy play dates etc and she would always be the model citizen. But now she doesn’t like other new dogs. Here is some back story that may help:

At about 1 she started resource guarding toys. When we would go to the dog park she was no longer interested in playin with the other dogs, she just wanted to collect and protect every single toy she could find and stop only dogs from going near them. People (even strangers) were never a problem. when no toys were around she was well behaved again.

we were able to work past this to the point that she wants only her current toy, and if another dog gets pushy about wanting it she will drop it and won’t fight for it

now about 3 weeks ago she absolutely lost it and started aggressively barking and lunging at a dog we were walking past. This was the first time this has happened and I didn’t see if the other dog did anything first so I just continued my walk and apologized. Went past plenty of other dogs without a problem.

last week my dad had her outside while he was cooking as he has done a dozen times before. She took off towards a neighbor waking their dog (probably more then 50 yards away) and started doing the same thing: barking aggressively right in the other dogs face. No biting, no contact, but she did not stop until he went and got her.

today I was walking her and a different neighbor was walking their dog. they were sniffing and saying hello like we have done hundreds of times... and then the hackles went up and she lost her mind. Barking, snarling, jumping at the other dog. I pulled her a way instantly And she stopped and sat quietly, but she was lazer focused on this dog until they were out of view and it was very clear that if she got close the same thing would happen.

I don’t know if this is resource guarding (resource=people?) or dog aggression? Why so much hate for strange dogs all of a sudden? We ran into a dog she sees frequently after and there was no issues. She’s also still very happy to see strange people.

Any suggestions on how to correct/train this behavior away?

I am also contacting local trainers to help resolve this quickly before it gets any worse, but I was hoping I could get any input and advise I can to help her get back to normal.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
293 Posts
I wonder if she has any sore joints or spine that other dogs have accidently injured. My dog is very protective of his joints and when he was left in extreme pain for weeks after my neighbours staffy tried to play with him and then a pitbull attacked him months later then he became very dog aggressive. I couldnt understand why he would purposly go up to dogs to attack and the trainer said its because he has learned that dogs dont listen to his many warning signals so hes learnt the quickest way to stop a threat is to get rid of the threat by attacking it. I think a vet visit is a good idea cause there may be pain your dog isnt showing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts