Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure if this should go into training or health, but I'm pretty sure there's not a health issue, so here we go. :)

Our new 4 year old, 8lb mix dog (chi/pug/doxie?) pees constantly when we're outside. Sometimes when we get out he'll do a long 20-40 second pee right away, other times he won't pee at all until we start a walk. Either way, at every tree/bush/plant/rock, bam - pee. He was better at the long pees when we first got him, but I encouraged him to explore on walks and don't know if I've trained him to pee so constantly.

Since the first 2 days of having him, he hasn't marked inside. We have however had an ongoing issue with him peeing by the door if he needs to go, but we generally see warnings for this, so we just make sure no more than 4 hours passes between walks. Hubs has taken him out and not had him pee much, then brought him in with a "he didn't really have to go", but 2 hours later I find a puddle at the door. :rolleyes:

So I don't think he has marking issues. I do think he has a massive bladder! We can go on an hour long walk, and given the opportunity he'll pee every 30 seconds, and won't hit empty until the hour mark. That's a LOT of peeing!

Instead, I'd like him to pee as much as he can when we first go out (like our girl does) so I can do quick pee trips outside during the day, and don't have to worry about accidents inside, or him holding too long and risking an infection. Can I train that into him? Is there a behavioural issue I'm missing or causing?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Lots of little pee's are marking. My basset hound does this. Walk, pee, walk five feet. Pee. Walk another five feet, pee. He is worse when my BF walks him because he lets him get away with everything and do whatever he wants. I don't let him stop as often and reward him for walking nicely without stopping. When I just take him out in the yard he does pee as opposed to marking.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now when I take him out and he doesn't pee right away, I take him down the block to get him to empty. To fix this, should I take him back in if he doesn't pee, then try it again an hour later? And an hour later if needed? I want to fix this situation, but not be cruel to him.

We're pretty sure he never went on walks before (clearly wasn't leash trained at all, but is now). He was also trained to pee in the bathroom in some sort of box, so the whole walking thing is new to him, but he's taken to it like a champ.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would take him out and if he doesn't pee go back in and try a half hour later. If he pees inside before you take him out again then you know you should take him out sooner. If he can wait you can extend the time. You can also train him to a word to pee. I trained my dane to pee on cue, I tell her go pee pee. She will normally go pretty quickly. I started when I brought her home and rewarded her every time she went, then started adding the command to it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have two females that mark constantly. Off leash, i don't care, but on leash I just keep walking when they try to mark, or walks would be so stop/start I'd get motion sick.

I would take him back in if he doesn't pee right away. Potty breaks need to be ONLY a potty break, or you end up with a dog that takes forever to pee. No one wants to be stuck outside in horrible weather or in a rush with a dog that wants walked a mile before they potty. When my dogs were young, I took them out and said go potty, and as soon as they did we went back in. Now all 3 go potty almost as soon as we go out, and one will go potty on command. We can be playing ball or hanging around outside and if I say go potty she will. More than once in a row even.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice, thank you both. I took just my boy out and he did a quick pee, and then we started back in, though he was clearly interested in walking. Once he realized we were on our way back in he did a quick second stop and peed longer, which was great! I think he'll be easier to train to this on his own, as I've tried this with them both out and he doesn't go a second time.

I'll try the word training too. We have 'do your business' with our first dog but it's hit & miss for poops, which generally take longer for her. Might just change it up for them both - do you recommend different words for peeing/poops?

And the treat-reward system works great on both of them, thank goodness!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts