Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 year old Dutch Shepherd / Mastiff Rescue. Ever since I adopted him he has been a very jumpy dog...very fearful in surprise situations. When his fear is quickly elevated his anal glad are quickly expressed...Unfortunately since he is always very easily surprised and frightened, the expressing seems to happen every few months, and usually at the worst times...when someone knocks on the door, when someone walks in the door and surprises him, when he is woken up by a loud noise in the middle of the night, etc. I have never had his anal glad "professionally" expressed nor have I done it myself. Question is...should I take him into the vet / groomer and do this monthly so these surprise situations don't turn into a unexpected smelly situation?

I know that a healthy diet is important in dogs with this issue..
I feed him Human Choice dry dog food with Canidae Chicken & Rice wet food about 2-3x a week. Should I adjust his diet to another brand that will be better for his digestive / stool production? (see ingredients for his dog food below)

Additionally we are also working with a trainer on his fear issues...hopefully this will help the surprise moments as well.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Ingredients for Humane choice are as follows:
Organic ground canola seed, organic brown rice, organic soybean meal, organic buckwheat, organic flaxseed, organic sunflower seed, organic millet, organic carrots, organic beets, organic broccoli, organic sunflower oil, organic canola oil, organic peas, salt, organic garlic, organic oregano, organic thyme, organic rosemary, organic green tea extract, choline chloride, ascorbic acid (as a preservative), mixed tocopherols (as a natural preservative), vitamins [vitamin E supplement, calcium pantothenate, niacin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine hydrochloride, folic acid], calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, minerals [ferric sulfate, zinc oxide, sodium selenate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate].Crude protein (min) 22% Crude fat (min) 12% Crude fiber (max) 9% Moisture (max) 10%

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Question is...should I take him into the vet / groomer and do this monthly so these surprise situations don't turn into a unexpected smelly situation?
Some dogs have to have their anal glands expressed. For you to have a mess to clean up I would say his is the liquid side. That actually is good. If he has solid stools then changing his diet is not necessary. Normally the anal glads express when a dog poops. This does not always happen though so having it done once a month is recommended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the response. One more quetsion if you know...Since he just had a "surprise accident" last night - how long should I wait to take him to have them expressed?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Thank you very much for the response. One more quetsion if you know...Since he just had a "surprise accident" last night - how long should I wait to take him to have them expressed?
If he is able to express some, I would say he probably needs to have them expressed soon. A dog will not express all of it. You can check an see if they are full. It is very easy. On either side of his rectum you can feel two lumps under the skin. Holding his tail straight up sometimes you can even see them.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.