Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all me and my partner have recently just rehomed a 3 year old Frenchie who is adorable but we are having some problems as she gets very anxious and or over excited as soon as she see's her lead, we went to take her out for her first walk which was a disaster as she got her self so worked up we came back shortly her breathing was out of control panting hard and we had to put her in the bath to cool her down 5 or so minutes later she was fine and back to herself. We are very worried about her. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Hello all me and my partner have recently just rehomed a 3 year old Frenchie who is adorable but we are having some problems as she gets very anxious and or over excited as soon as she see's her lead, we went to take her out for her first walk which was a disaster as she got her self so worked up we came back shortly her breathing was out of control panting hard and we had to put her in the bath to cool her down 5 or so minutes later she was fine and back to herself. We are very worried about her. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
Need a little clarification. Is she scared of the leash and scared of going outside? or she just gets really amped up for the walk and doesn't stop?

Any history known about the dog?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She isn't scared of going outside as she use to live outside with her previous owners, she is fine with other dogs and other people such a friendly dog but as soon as the lead comes in sight she goes crazy and gets herself all worked up. She goes out and pulls hard on the lead and her breathing becomes out of control so much so we have to come back to calm her down.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Ok, that's good to know. What are you feeding the dog? Foods can really create hyperactivity.

If she's reacting to the leash, you put it on her then out the door, then you're really just feeding her and allowing her to do her thing. She needs to learn to calm down before she gets the walk. Take out the leash and wait for her to calm. Put the leash on her - if she reacts again, wait til she's calm. This is where minutes feel like hours :)

Do you have a back yard to run her around? Need to burn some of the excess energy off before walking her or trying to train her in any way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have only had her for 4 days and as we were leaving with her from her previous owners they did say "oh by the way she goes mad on her lead". So I'm guessing by that they never trained her or walked her much so that's probably why she gets herself in such a state.

Yea we have a back yard so I'm going to start her off there and see how things progress. She is an amazing dog but hasn't been trained at all so I guess it all new for her. Thanks you for the advice

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
One of my neighbors has a male frenchie with a bit of english bulldog bred into him, about 30 pounds of solid muscle. Beautiful dog and temperament but dumb as a post. Everyone loves him, takes 2 hours to make a half hour walk.

Patience and time - and good things come to she who waits. She'll learn pretty quick that she has to settle down before the leash goes on. When she's acting out on the walk, make her sit and relax, when she's calm, move forward and keep repeating it. Most of all, remain calm, don't get flustered or react to her. Have patience, she'll get it.

And again, food can cause hyperactivity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I believe it's the initial excitement of going out, she loves to sit by the window looking out and seeing what's going on. Yea I think that's the best solution we went for a little walk today not very far at all but small steps and she will get there.

It worries me she gets so excited about the walk she struggles to breath properly a 2 minute walk takes 5-10 minutes to get her breathing back on track.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A lot of things with dogs can be trained unintentionally, such as this.

The dog sees the leash, he knows he's going for a walk = Excited.
The dog sees the owner put their shoes on and get the keys = Oh no, my owner is leaving
The dog hears the fridge door open = He thinks he's being fed his dinner and gets excited.

If this were my dog, I would first try to desensitize the association between picking up the leash = going for a walk. I would do this by casually picking up the leash, walk around and put it somewhere else randomly through the day. This way, the dog won't always associate picking up the leash as a trigger and he will be calmer about you picking up the leash in the future.

After doing the first step, I would put the leash on the dog, and walk around the house for a few minutes with the leash on, then take it off. Don't go outside each time. You can also use this as an opportunity to practice loose leash walking, which should start inside anyway. Continuously reward the dog for walking by your side.

When you're doing this, you may gradually see more calm behavior. Reward it with tasty treats!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
You could also make it so picking up the leash becomes the cue to sit. If she has a strong sit cue (if not, work on that first), pick up the leash and quickly say "sit". If she does, reward her (click and treat, say yes!, throw a ball, whatever works for you). If she doesn't sit, put the leash down and walk away for a minute. Repeat this 5-10 times, and then pick up the leash and don't say anything. Since sitting is currently paying well, she will probably offer a sit. Click and treat. Take a break and go do something else, or go for a walk. Once she has it down in one spot of your house, work in different rooms to generalize. Fairly quickly, she will learn that seeing the leash = time to sit, not get frantic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Understanding how to stop your dog from pulling is something that every dog owner needs to overcome in order to be able to walk there dog in an enjoyable manor. Many dog behavioral problems also stem from the fact that the dog is dragging you along the street. To put it simply your dog thinks it is in charge of the walk or in dog terms it sees itself as the pack leader! You can have 2 good reading articles right here : Becoming the pack leader and How To Stop Your Dog From Pulling You can find a very helpful video in the second article.
Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.