Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my best friend has a french bulldog, recently over the past month or so everytime I see him he is aggressive towards me he jumps up pinning me, aggressively barking and growling in my face. I’ve known him since he’s been 8 weeks old and doesn’t show aggression to anyone else, it’s in all sorts of settings, if I bump into them on a walk, if I’m outside sitting on a bench or when I walk through the door, he shows no aggression to others or strangers. Weirdly though if I’m with my chihuahua he doesn’t really get aggressive with me. It’s frustrating me as I’ve only ever shown him love and care and it’s putting me off going to her house aswell because it’s not a nice situation to be in, if forced to be in my company for a while he does calm down eventually, has anyone had anything similar?

·
Super Moderator
4,972 Posts
Dogs can sometimes make weird associations. I know someone whose dog was asleep under a table, woke up, banged her head on the underside of the table, but ”blamed” the ceiling fan ever after.

If the dog is being really aggressive, aggression is often rooted in fear so forcing him to be in your company would be like forcing a person with a fear of snakes to stand in a snake pit. They don't get over the fear that way. So I'd suggest your friend just puts him in another room. Or, if you meet outside, give him plenty of space.

Try not to take it personally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dogs can sometimes make weird associations. I know someone whose dog was asleep under a table, woke up, banged her head on the underside of the table, but ”blamed” the ceiling fan ever after.

If the dog is being really aggressive, aggression is often rooted in fear so forcing him to be in your company would be like forcing a person with a fear of snakes to stand in a snake pit. They don't get over the fear that way. So I'd suggest your friend just puts him in another room. Or, if you meet outside, give him plenty of space.

Try not to take it personally.
it’s funny you should say that, the first time it happened her friend who is male came into her house before me and I think he was quite rough playfighting with him and then the dog showed him a lot of aggression, I popped in about an hour after that situation happened and he was normal with me for a minute then just completely turned on me and did the same to me, I’m wondering whether he was perhaps hurt when playfighting with her male friend before I came in and now I’m associated with that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might be able to counter condition the dog by randomly throwing treats to him when you are there. It takes a bit, but it works sometimes quite well!
how do you do that? it's so weird because if i'm with my dog he acts fine, also he shows aggression when he sees me for the first 15 minutes then is completely back to his usual self - he sometimes will just sit next to me like it never happened its so weird

·
Super Moderator
4,972 Posts
To do this, I'd suggest you you start by taking some lovely treats and tossing them past him, so he has to go away from you to get them. I realise that sounds counterintuitive but it helps him build a positive conditioned emotional response (google +CER for the science if you are interested) without having to get too close. It also means he doesn't have to get too close to you, which could make him feel quite conflicted - he wants the treat but has to approach a person he is unsure of to get it.

After a number of days of doing that, put one of the treats on the floor, about 18 inches from your feet. See what he does. If he darts in, takes the treat, and goes off, then he isn't ready yet for this stage. So, as with anything in dog training, go back to the previous step for a bit longer.

When he takes the treat from the floor and eats it there, do that for a few days.

Once he has been taking the treat from the floor happily for a number of days, offer one from your hand, but again see how he reacts. Any lack if confidence (taking it and stepping back) again is a sign he isn't ready, so back up a step for longer.

Expect this to take weeks, or even months depending on the dog. But don't be tempted to rush it, take it at his pace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To do this, I'd suggest you you start by taking some lovely treats and tossing them past him, so he has to go away from you to get them. I realise that sounds counterintuitive but it helps him build a positive conditioned emotional response (google +CER for the science if you are interested) without having to get too close. It also means he doesn't have to get too close to you, which could make him feel quite conflicted - he wants the treat but has to approach a person he is unsure of to get it.

After a number of days of doing that, put one of the treats on the floor, about 18 inches from your feet. See what he does. If he darts in, takes the treat, and goes off, then he isn't ready yet for this stage. So, as with anything in dog training, go back to the previous step for a bit longer.

When he takes the treat from the floor and eats it there, do that for a few days.

Once he has been taking the treat from the floor happily for a number of days, offer one from your hand, but again see how he reacts. Any lack if confidence (taking it and stepping back) again is a sign he isn't ready, so back up a step for longer.

Expect this to take weeks, or even months depending on the dog. But don't be tempted to rush it, take it at his pace.
hello the weird thing is, i tried to feed him the last time i saw him, he took treats from my hand happily, 3-4 times but he did still growl after they were gone LOL i can try this your way and see if it naturally builds up

·
Registered
171 Posts
how do you do that? it's so weird because if i'm with my dog he acts fine, also he shows aggression when he sees me for the first 15 minutes then is completely back to his usual self - he sometimes will just sit next to me like it never happened its so weird
Sorry, I missed your response somehow! I see JoanneF filled in the blanks nicely though, so you're all set! Let us know how you get on with this!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts