Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMNHO (in my never humble opinion) I don't like ad's that give pets away for free. I know the people giving the pet away are thinking-I love this pet and I don't want money for him/her-just the best home.

HOWEVER I feel that for potential homes, free to good home encourages VERY little thought into the financial consequences of adopting a pet and results in the opposite-not a good home.

I'm not saything that free animals aren't worth it.

I'm saying peopel who want free animals-likely aren't willing or able to pay for vet care, spay/neuter, good quality food and boarding etc. etc. When the free pet gets expensive they are more likely to get rid of him-IMO
In my opinion charging an adoption fee encourages people to think harder and longer on the new family member.

Sooo what do you all think?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I agree...

People should charge at least $50....there are people who sell dogs to labratories...for $50...makes it not worth their time...

Also BAIT DOGS

Free to good home......this is how dog fighters get bait dogs (when they aren't stealing them) they are far less likely to choose to use a dog they have to pay for.

and fighting dogs....I cringe when I see pit bulls and similar breeds "Free to good home, not for fighting" like thats going to deter anyone.

http://www.saveourshepherds.org/free2good_home.html

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree. While I haven't experienced this myself. Aside from testing animals, People also will "adopt" a FTGH puppy only to use it for its own breeding puppies. A lot of people who can no longer afford their dog also didn't take the time to spay or neuter them, Backyard breeders (while not as bad a puppy mills) are wreckless. How many blind deaf Australian Shepherds are there because someone didn't think before breeding a Merle to a Merle.

OK rant over :)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"How many blind deaf Australian Shepherds are there because someone didn't think before breeding a Merle to a Merle"

AGREED!! 'my dog has reproductive organs, therefore I NEED to breed it' *sigh*

·
Registered
822 Posts
I totally agree that there should be a charge involved , I hate it when I see ads asking for a free pet ... if that person wants the animal enough then they should save up , that shows dedication and responsibility towards the animal
easy come , easy go my Mum used to say (I hate to apply that saying to an animal but in these cases sadly it may be true :( )

im currently looking through the rescues/private ads online for our third dog (wishful thinking im afraid , my OH says we cant afford a third dog just yet ... darn credit crunch , grrrr) and im amazed at the sheer amount of private ads that arent asking anything for the dog :(
and the rescues these days neuter/spay , worm , flea and possibly incur other vet bills , as well as pay for all the food the dog eats ... at the very least they deserve to have those expenses covered so they can go on to rescue other needy animals

·
Registered
275 Posts
I ride on the fence on this one, meaning I really don't know what way is better. This is something I have been confused about really. I know that free to good home can realy go to a bad home that was a spure of the moment 'isnt he cute' with no thought of what the cost and time will be. But there are also people that have spent large amounts of money on dogs I know I could never afford and do the same thing. They have been found starving tied to a tree too. I got Feora from a free ad. Been looken for a pup I wanted for 4 months, turned lots down. I saw the ad, thought 'what could it hurt, just go look like I did the others' well, there was my dog and I love her so much and would never give her up as long as I have say so on the matter. She's mine her whole life. Was gonna get her fixed, then thought she couldnt have pups and now that I know that Im wrong, Ill do somethen about it.
I know what your sayen and dont disagree. just not sure what is right or wrong on this. I saw once someone on craigslist jump another for not just given her dogs away.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I forgot to also say that I paid someone $50 once for a german shepard pup that had realy bad breeding in him and nomatter what I did and how much he was my baby (this was waaaaaay before I had kids) he grew very mean towards other people. Nobody was allowed anywhere near me or our home. I realy tried to correct him but nothing worked. I had him at 4 weeks (I know thats to soon to take a pup but I ws 17 when I got him and didnt know that then) till he was 2 yrs old. when he opened our gate and charged a boy chasing him up my car for just walken by and I knew that if he could have, he would have hurt the boy. Thats when I knew no matter how careful I was with him all the time, it didn't matter. One day, he will slip and get someone and I didn't want to sit in jail. I gave him to someone who lived in the country who knew how to keep this sort of dog. He wanted to work with him. He knew to be careful and how to keep him. I didn't charge for him, this was his last chance. If this didn't work, he would have had to be put down. I am scared of german shepards and their mixes every since. I still love the breed, I just can't bring myself to ever own one again. I am very careful if I am near one.
I got a chua hua (Im sorry, my spelling is so bad) pup for $100 from someone and it didn't take long for the med bills to pile up. This pup had everything wrong with it. I finally had to give him up to a friend who COULD afford his bills. He still has him to this day. I could have afforded 3 dogs at that time if Iwanted. But these vet bills were way more then that. I had to do what was best for the pup.
So, because of these things, I shy away from people asking for money. I don't mind paying at the pound or if its a breeder that is known for the health of their animals. but Im always scared that I may be paying for a problem the last owner just wants out of and isn't telling me.
I still am not in disagreement with any of you. I think you have valid points. I don't know what is better, I only know what Iv been thru myself trying to get good forever dogs.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ohh Steph-I definitely don't think *ALL* people who get pets from free to good home ads aren't good :) Some people just don't want/need purebreds or saw a cute ad.

I just think that people putting the ads up are unknowingly sometimes putting their pet in danger-especially with lab testing-I know for a fact that the university near me has several labs that get test subjects from free ads, and it's not uncommon to do-they even lie to get the pet (Bring another prof's kid with them to pose as a family).

Horses often are picked from free to good home ads (Hard to believe someone would give their horse for free but it's exceedingly common these days)-generally are bought by the meat buyer who poses as a loving home (bringing the wife and kids...).

I just think/hope money deters *those* type of people, as well as the 'impuslse' buyers who fill up shelters ;)

You sound like a great owner and I hope I didn't get your back up-I too would take a cat/kitten for free-but if I ever had to rehome an animal-I would ask thousands :p

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Ohh Steph-I definitely don't think *ALL* people who get pets from free to good home ads aren't good :) Some people just don't want/need purebreds or saw a cute ad.

I just think that people putting the ads up are unknowingly sometimes putting their pet in danger-especially with lab testing-I know for a fact that the university near me has several labs that get test subjects from free ads, and it's not uncommon to do-they even lie to get the pet (Bring another prof's kid with them to pose as a family).

Horses often are picked from free to good home ads (Hard to believe someone would give their horse for free but it's exceedingly common these days)-generally are bought by the meat buyer who poses as a loving home (bringing the wife and kids...).

I just think/hope money deters *those* type of people, as well as the 'impuslse' buyers who fill up shelters ;)

You sound like a great owner and I hope I didn't get your back up-I too would take a cat/kitten for free-but if I ever had to rehome an animal-I would ask thousands :p
People just dump the horses here, for AC to pick up...right smack in the middle of urban neighborhoods.

when I had to rehome two of my chickens (they were TOOO loud for my neighborhood) I asked som'thing like $20 each for them... the woman who wanted them let us come to her house and see all her other pet chickens, and pet goat...lol We didn't take the money from her because we felt beyond comfortable...but it certainly helped to put the request for $ in the add as only the best home surfaced :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Oh, no, I wasnt offended or the like at the least. I just like to tell how I feel and why.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok good :) :)

·
Banned
112 Posts
Free to good home should still involve some effort on the part of the person giving up the dog to actually interview people that want it. Ask the qualifying questions to determine exactly who this person is, where they come from, what they do for a living and what experience they have with dogs young or old. How much time do they have to give to a pet and whether they have the correct frame of mind to know when to walk it, feed it, bathe it, and ASK IF THEY HAVE A VETERINARIAN. Do they have a nice yard, a crate, a leash, or if you are providing these things if they can reimburse you for these expenses at least.

If you take the effort to get the dog in the first place you should make the effort to care for its well being when it does come time to part with it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
wow, thats so sad. Good for Bubby though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts