Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO and I fostered a young wirehaired pointer-ish dog (looked and acted purebred but was a stray so who really knows) for a few months earlier this year. He got adopted by a fabulous young couple in early June. During the adoption process the new owners and I became friendly and they are great about sending regular updates and sharing photos on social media of his progress -- he graduated "cum laude" from his obedience class this week :D

My issue is that I STILL miss him. He was SUCH a fabulous dog and I was besotted with him from day 1. He had the affectionate outgoing personality of a labrador, smart as a whip, high energy without being hyperactive (great off-switch) and drew our shy pup out of her shell almost immediately -- they were total besties. We decided not to adopt him because we live in an apartment, are planning an international move in the coming year, and he was big -- like nearly 30 inches and 70 lbs (our female is only about 24 inches and 45 lbs) and our apartment is not big. Plus when we move we'll have to continue renting and it's much harder finding landlords amenable to TWO dogs (neither small).

But now I so regret not keeping him. I miss his adorable bearded face, I miss his sloppy kisses, I miss his enthusiasm for life, and our female seems much less confident in new situations/meeting new people with him gone.

I know I just need to give it time, and that down the road when the time is right we'll find another equally fabulous dog to bring into the family -- but I just didn't expect to still feel this way 2 months after saying goodbye. I'm not looking for any real advice...just venting that I miss my scruffy goofball.

The new owners live 2 hours away and we stopped in to say hello and go for a walk while returning form a trip last weekend, seeing him again just melted my heart all over. We drove to a forest to go walking (in our car) and at the end he refused to get out of the trunk. THe new owner had to put a leash on him and drag him out :( I know they take wonderful care of him so it's not like I would provide a better home, but I would have happily let him stay and brought him back to our home again!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can relate . . . I've fostered several dogs and have a t-shirt that says "Failed Foster Mom" because I usually end up keeping more than I adopt out. Sometimes a dog makes a special connection with you and it's hard to let those go. You did the right thing but that doesn't make it hurt any less. Perhaps let the adoptive parents know that if they EVER need to give the dog up for any reason you'd love to adopt it? You never know what the future holds. Maybe the dog isn't as good a fit in his new home as he was in yours.
Sue

1 - 2 of 2 Posts