Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've always wanted to get into fostering and finally made the plunge a few weeks ago. After signing the form I got a call to come in and pick out some young kittens to short term foster until they could be adopted. Ecstatic, I want in there planning to bring one back and foster it for a few weeks. Well, two hours and three kittens later, Tucker had some little sisters. They had to get a lot fostered that day, and I didn't want to break up the small litter for two weeks so I decided to take all three.

I'm not sure how I survived.

I learned from experience and I'm glad that everything went okay, but I discovered that Tucker gets overwhelmed by several kittens. We have three cats at my parents' place (one indoor and two outdoor) and he was always fine with them. I guess the part I didn't think about was whether the kittens would be fine with Tucker. So I had three kittens terrified and running everywhere from my dog and it overwhelmed Tucker. Luckily I had a backup plan and was able to keep them in my bathroom (pretty good size for three 6 week old kittens). They did great, Tuck did great, and it was all going to be over this past Friday. Well, one of the three did not meet the size requirement (she was the runt) so I ended up bringing her back for one more week. The meowing is constant (yes, I do let her out of my bathroom for socializing and playing). Now that there's only one I've been able to work with her and Tucker on being around each other. She's pretty brave and has handled it well. Tucker doesn't realize how big he is and wants anything with four legs to be his friend. He doesn't realize why him walking up to a kitten 1/100th his size would run away and he gets so upset (whines) over it. He lays down and is perfectly still, waits for the kitten to come up to him and sniff him, then when he moves his head to sniff back the kitten runs away. I feel so bad for him haha. So this has been my first experience with fostering. It's been great and yesterday one of the two bigger kittens got adopted, so that was nice. My roommates might kill me by the time this week is over (this kitten has some impressive vocal chords!).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.