Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically I am looking for someone to talk me down.... I do some online work for a local rescue, and they posted this morning that they are looking for people to foster some staffy x kelpie puppies. They are looking for people to take them in pairs.... And theoretically I could - I just bought a house and have a massive secure yard, and an empty room they could sleep in. I do work full time, but live very close to my work, so could come home in the middle of the day for almost an hour.

Buuut I also have other animals to think of. I am sure that my dog would be fine, and my 3 cats are fine with dogs (and theyre baby puppies (8wks) so Im sure they can be trained to play nicely with them). The only one I would be concerned about is my mums dog that I will be dog sitting for the next couple of months. Hes actually the best dog ever, and gets along with everyone, but he is 8, and very much acts like an old man. He has no inclination whatsoever to play with other dogs, and will eventually snap at overly boisterous puppies. So im thinking that maybe it would be better for me to just wait until he goes back to mum, and see if they need any fosters then? But then I also would love to have puppies around, and the rescue do need foster homes....

I would really appreciate honest opinions to help me make a decision :)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I feel like this post is right in my wheelhouse!

My Sully boy doesn't particularly like rambunctious pups either, and Boo also likes her space. Puppies are really easy to manage in this regard though. We use 2 x-pens hooked together to give them a nice little "only them" area during the day and have some supervised play sessions every few hours.

Having dogs that don't like the "in your face" behaviour from puppies is a blessing in disguise for a foster/rescue. Most puppies will learn from body language/growling that their behavior is not ok, which is an amazing life skill for any dog to learn early. The one's that don't will be corrected by the older dogs.

This was REALLY hard for me to allow to happen at first. I remember the first time Sully corrected a puppy(and gave him a little cut on his nose) it took everything I had in me to not lose my s&*^ on him. You can monitor their interactions so that it isn't necessary to even let things get to the point where the older dogs feel the need to corrrect the baby though. As long as you are in the mix, watching your older dog for signs of him/her being uncomfortable or annoyed and wrangling the puppies accordingly, everyone will get along great.

Also I wanted to add that taking 2 puppies actually makes things alot easier on the foster. They keep each other occupied while also teaching one another the basic rules how to act with and around other dogs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I did it! And theyre super adorable. But the poop! Its all been a bit runny (probably because of a change of diet) and theres just so much! Theyve actually not been that bad - I just am not used to it anymore....

A question on that - when you throw a puppy party for pooping outside, do you praise them while theyre doing it or just as they finish? I just always have thought that if you praise them while theyre in the middle, there is the chance theyll get distracted and not finish?

And mr grumpy pants continues to be grumpy, but he hasnt properly corrected them yet, just growls when they come near him. His number one technique is to just get away from them - he can jump on the bed that is too high for them so that works for him....

But Zephyr absolutely loooooves having them here! She lies down so they can jump all over her, and tries to entice them to play with her toys :p She is learning that theyre not quite as fast as she is, so if she wants them to chase her she has to go a bit slower :) And shes been very gentle too so Im a bit proud of her :) Its super cute watching them all interact.

And at first they were a bit hesitant with the cats, just stood back and barked. But one of my cats is a huge fan of dogs, and now they all play together nicely, because my cat just forced his presence on the pups.

One other thing that I wasnt really expecting was that they both are humpers! I didnt think that that behaviour started so young, and in both boy and girl?? They dont hump the other animals, just peoples arms and legs.

Sorry for the long post - Im just a bit excited because PUPPIES!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts