Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local shelter where I've volunteered (on the cat side) and also have adopted from (cats) is looking for Holiday fosters. The idea is that all the pets -- cats and dogs -- that normallly live at the shelter are placed in foster homes from 12/22-1/3 so that all the volunteers who normally take care of those pets get a 2-week vacay over the holidays. It's a really nice idea, and since I keep thinking about a second dog, I put in an app to be a Holiday Foster for one of their dogs, and i was approved (yay!).

So the next step is taking Cobber over to the shelter tomorrow to do a meet-n-greet with a few different dogs that might work in my specific situation. I have cats; I don't want a puppy; I'd prefer housebroken (I know that can be iffy even with really good dogs in a new setting); and the deal breaker is the dog has to get along with Cobber. Currently there is a little, fixed, 10-yr-old female JRT who reads on their site like she'd be perfect, provided she and Cobber hit it off. I was going to post a link but the site seems to be having issues.

If she and Cobber don't seem to get along then there are a few others the shelter manager mentioned to me as possibles. Hopefully, one of them will work out.

Okay, so I am aware that any new dog will probably not even fully adjust to what's going on in a mere 2 weeks. I also figure that no matter what happens, I can probably deal with just about anything for 2 weeks, which is why I'm dipping my toe in the foster pond this way. Also, I will have to go to work one day out of that 2-week period; the rest of the time I'll be home with the dogs, which should help with any issues that might crop up.

What sorts of things should I be looking out for? Eating issues? Toy issues? Treat issues? Should I even try to take this dog on a walk, or should I just let her and Cobber out in our big fenced-in yard for some play and potty time and not really push for anything further? I don't want to overdo and overwhelm, but I also don't want a pair of bored dogs getting into trouble ;)

I'm sure the answer is to just wait and see, but I wondered if anyone else has done something like this and had any stories to tell. Stupidly, I'm also worrying ahead of time about the dog liking her stay with me and then I'll feel bad taking her back after 2 weeks. (My mother often said that I'm determined to worry about something pretty much all the time... she was right).

And I expect once the fostering commences, I'll be here either posting happy pics or begging for advice - LOL!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Personally, I would take the dogs out for a walk. After being in the shelter, change of scenery and smells would surely be appreciated.

I would also not be taken in by the dog's initial behaviour as that could be the honeymoon period (meaning that I wouldn't fall in the trap of thinking 'Oh he is so lovely' and then finding out that he is a very clever dog who will do mischief because he assessed me as a pushover).

I would keep the dogs tired by walking, playing, training - I'm sure a shelter dog would appreciate a little one to one attention and anything good that he learns might help him get a home more quickly.

I would put the dogs' food into food dispensing toys such as Kong Pyramid or Kong toys (wet food can be frozen in the Kong) so they would be spending time licking and gnawing, batting the pyramids with their paws or noses trying to work out how to get the food out. Keeping them busy and tired should prevent any problems developing - except perhaps - you might not want to hand him back to the shelter.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I don't have a multi dog house, but if I were to add, I would make sure to feed them separately for awhile; just to make sure of no RG issues. I also wouldn't spend too much time focused on the addition, less cobbler get jealous. Make sure the new do has it's own bed, dishes, and maybe a special toy; they shouldn't have to share everything.

Good luck and have fun

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Cobber and I just returned from spending an hour at the shelter doing a meet-n-greet with a couple possibles. I had picked out a female JRT from the website, and she and I got along great. But she REALLY wanted nothing to do with Cobber and would growl if he even looked toward her. So that was a bust.

But then we met Max. No clue what he is, but he's a medium size, and he and Cobber were playing and zooming all over the outside area. So now he goes to the groomer tomorrow and the shelter lady said he'll probably get adopted before the Holidays cuz he's so sweet and will look really good - LOL! I figure, if he's adopted in the next week and a half, good for Max! If he's not, then good for me and Cobber :)

Let me see if I can find a link.... http://www.centrecountypaws.info/dogs/moreinfo.cfm?i=2151&l=0
Apparently he's a beagle/shetland mix...?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this seems like a good problem for the shelter to have: Every dog that we've picked to foster, that Cobber gets along with, has been adopted! I think it's wonderful and try not to sound discouraged each time the shelter lets me know, because adoption is what's best for the dogs. But the email I got this morning saying the shelter has basically run out of dogs means no holiday fostering for me this year unless some new dogs come in on Sunday - no one seems to know. Oh well... Cobber will just have to be happy playing with my son who's visiting for a few days next week :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts