Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I think I'd like to become a foster parent for dogs, but I'm not sure how to get into it. Anyone here have any experience with that? I'd like to hear about other's experiences and any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I’m not from Usa so i’m sure that there are other people here that can give you better advise on how to foster dogs in your country.

But I’ve had 6 foster dogs and have gotten them in different ways. Where I live there is not at all that many homeless dogs, we in fact only have like two rescue shelters in the whole country. And they weren’t in need of any more foster homes. So two dogs came from people who knows me who knows somebody who can’t keep their dog.

Two of them came from an organization that rescue dogs from shelters in Spain. To become a foster home for them I had to fill in a form of interest. Where I had to answer questions about me, how I live, my experiences and questions on how I would handle different situations and so on. After that I talked to them on the phone. And then they came for a home-visit, to make sure that I would be a suitable foster home.

The last two dogs I found in a fb-group, they were private owned and the owner looked for an emergency home for them.

Now I’m about to start volunteering in a organization that helps owners to find temporary homes for their dogs if they’re in a abusive relationship and they need to move to a protected residence (were they can’t bring their dog). So maybe I will foster some dogs from their, not sure yet.

My point however, is that there are different ways to do it. But since you seem to live in the usa, I guess you could just contact a shelter and tell them that you would like to foster dogs. I would guess that you would have to go through a kind of similar process as I did with the Spanish rescue dogs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts