Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a shepherd mix, Bolt, from the local shelter on October 31.

He's very energetic, was the shelter wild child, and we were under the impression he'd need a ton of exercise to be tired, but over the past few weeks he's really calmed down and been pretty sleepy...which is actually a huge relief but kind of has me worried. I can't decide if it's just because he's settling down after being cooped up in the shelter for nearly 3 months, actually getting proper exercise now, and maybe calming down from the neuter, or if something's up.

He was neutered the 2nd week we had him, and he does go to daycare 2-3 times a week. He's very tired after those days.

The shelter gives the DAPP series, and I took him for his rabies vaccine the first week I had him. Later, unfortunately after we'd been to the dog park and he'd been to daycare, I realized he hadn't been vaccinated for Bordatella or leptospirosis. I got those ASAP last week. He has been a little sneezy, but his symptoms aren't enough to make me seriously worry he has kennel cough or anything.

There's a chance he could have Lyme Disease. He tested negative the week I got him, but he had a tick on him at the time and the spot had a red ring around it. We're retesting in 3-4 weeks.

He also has a little sore on his ear we're putting antibiotic cream on, and when I started to do that I noticed his ears were really dirty. Wondering if I should get another vet appointment to check his ears... sigh. So many vet trips!

Any thoughts? Have others had "wild" shelter dogs who drastically calmed down after settling in and/or after being neutered?

·
Registered
478 Posts
My guess would be that he's feeling settled and relaxing into his new home. Obviously you need to check any health problems, especially for the Lyme's disease, but I wouldn't worry too much, he's probably just happy to have a good home.

Hope all goes well

Lynsey

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would take him to the vet again.

I remember when I adopted my rescue I spent SO much money on vet visits getting her cleaned up :eek: And I was in grad school and didn't have much cash. The vet felt bad for me, I think he cut me a break on some things. She was worth it of course, but man, it was painful.

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
It might be worth bringing up to your vet, but it also sounds like you are also properly providing exercising him, which he probably didn't get in the kennel. Doggy daycare is enough to calm a dog down, but 2-3 times a week is definitely enough to knock a dog down a few pegs, and that's on top of all of the exercise you are providing (all of which is awesome).

Maybe ask the daycare if they have noticed him being sluggish or anything. If he is playing like his normal self he my just be wearing himself out.

I agree with retesting for Lymes. There are so many different strands of Lymes, who knows if the test missed it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't ask today, but on Tuesday the daycare said he was very high energy and played a ton. He seems really sleepy tonight, but he's also afraid I'm going to bathe him since I've done that the last 2 times (it was rainy and he was a MESS).

Thanks for your input and suggestions! He has to get 2 vaccine boosters in about 2 weeks, so maybe I'll check in again then unless he seems to need to go sooner. Hopefully it's just that he's getting proper exercise and settling in. He sure does seem happy to have comfy places to sleep! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts