Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=2755154
Or anything similar...

I picked it up yesterday for Bubba, my Blue and gold Macaw. I was outside getting the grill fired up for lunch and heard a god awful scream from inside. I ran in and saw Bubba hanging from the toy with his head caught in one of the squares. I was able to get him out without injury, but he is so scared I had to cover his cage.

I highly recommend if anyone has or know someone with a larger parot and this toy tell them.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my!

when I worked at petsmart we used that toy all the time.
I have heard of parrots loosing toes in the chains as well.
I rarely use chains except on their play stands while supervised. All the toys in the cages are tie with un-treated sisal rope. PArt chew toy, part hanger.

Charlie is missing a claw from one of his feet. I suspect it was either from a chain, or the parents overpreening him.

I uncovered Bubba a few minutes ago, after I got home from the doc. Yes...He latched onto one of my fingers in a defensive panic. Split the bone, and I am not on some really good medication(not sure what but it is good,lol).

When I uncovered him, He instantly said "scritches" and "have a peanut." I guess he is over his tramatic event.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patients for the bites?

The only time I have been bitten by my pets is when I have not been paying attention to my birds body language, or like today, when they fear for their lives. Both are not the Birds fault. I have also worked with many Parrots that bit agressively and mine guys are far from that.

Ironically, the worst bite I ever got was from a breeder cockatiel hen. She took a hunk of meat off the web between thumb and pointer finger. My poor hands are scarred up from years of scrapes, bites, and breaks. One more won't make a difference, lol.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
want a cockatoo? lol ;)

how do you work with broken fingers?

Sorry crio, the two parrots I purposely stay away from are cocktoos, and African Grays. I will work with them long enough to rehome them (to a good home), but not to keep.

Hmm...work with broken fingers. I suspect I will find out on monday. Remember, I have been off for two weeks. It shouldn't be a big deal. Both fingers are on my left hand, I am right handed. I may type slower though.

My luck has really sucked this month, lol.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
AW man!!

That's cute he wanted scritches and peanuts after recovering. I want one so bad!!

We had a similar incident on our rabbit forum-this toy is for cats and we often use cat/bird toys for rabbits (they don't make many good rabbit toys and often bird/cat toys are appropriate-remember birds are sensitive to many of the same things as buns-like sissel is a great rope for buns too)
This toy-

And the bunny got her teeth jammed in the holes and couldn't let go-that was a vet trip with a very scared bun for the owner.

I guess we all should watch super close with any new toys. ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
My dream is a cockatoo or african grey XD Im waiting for my elderly dogs to pass before I get anything else but another dog. I know that sounded harsh, but they are old and have a few med. problems so I dont need anymore worries xD
Why do you try to stay away from cockatoos and african greys? Jw, I want to be aware.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
cockatoos and african greys?
Cockatoos are extremely unpredictable and can be aggressive , imo. It is one of the only parrots (that I know of) that breeders have to put up nest boxes with two holes in them. The second is an escape route. Male toos will attack and kill their mates on occasion. Both breeds are prone to having stress related, mental breakdowns. Which leads to plucking, aggressive behavior, and a need for isolation/rehabilitation. The few I have had to work with suffered from aggression issues, or severe mental issues. If you don't have every minute of your day open, then stay away from grays and toos. They are the most popular because the toos are gorgeous and majestic, and the grays are relatively cheap. When and if you decided to get a feathered kid go to a breeder or adopt. Pet stores are a ripoff and there are many people who dive in without researching the bird well enough to handle them. My quaker was to loud for the husband of the lady who paid 400 for her. I adopted her for 100. After she recovered from the stressfull situation she was in she turned out to be one of the best little turds I have. Although she likes to feed the dogs bird seed, which makes them sit and beg at her cage, lol.

If you want a large parrot, stick with the cooler breeds. i.e. Solomon Island Ecclectus, or Some Macaws. If you just want a parrot, then go with and Alexandrine, Indian ringneck, Quaker (if legal in your area), or a conure (I prefer the nanadays over other conures).

On a side note. Don't be fooled by the terms Parrot and Parakeet. Both are hookbills and all hookbills have the ability to talk. Parrots have short tails like My amazon. Parakeets have long Tails. (i.e a quaker parrot and a monk parakeet are the same breed). Many people assume that budgies and bourkes are the only parakeets.

Also, stay away from Scarlet Macaws unless you are an expert handler.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Yikes! that must be painful! And it must have also been scary for the both of you. :(

thankfully none of my little critters I have had have gotten caught anywhere on anything.

~MSE

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep...It scared the heck out of both of us. When I said hanging from the toy, I mean his feet were dangling and kicking in a panic to grab a hold of something. Once he released my finger, I unhooked to toy from the cage and was able to hold him long enough to get the toy off his head.

I felt bad for him so this morning he got a fresh apple, lettuce, carrots, oranges, and scrambled eggs all in the same meal. All of them had the same but he got a little extra. Right now he is sitting at the back window preening, and watching the wild birds at the feeder.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Well hopefully no lasting traumas for him from that experience.

~MSE

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
My dream is a cockatoo or african grey

I hope you read som' of my posts about my nightmare. Behind three doors you can still hear him screaming at the end of the block, which is about five or so houses away. Iam not exagerating.

My nieghbor has a grey, hes retired and lives alone tho, the perfect home IMO except the bird will outlive him . I can hear his bird, but its sounds are much happier. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts