Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just moved into my first home yay! I love it but the yard doesn't have a fence. We won't be able to put one up until a year or two from now.

The previous owners had a clothes line outside and I knew it would be a great way to keep the dog tied out. I just hook her leash onto the line and she can go all over the yard safetly.

It works great. I almost always sit outside with her when she is out. The most I leave her out is like 15 mins and that is with the door open so I can hear her. I am a bit paranoid lol

Anyways my issue.... In a month or two I will be getting a new dog. A 3 year old husky who has never really been on a leash before that much.

I am curious what people do when they have yards but no fences?

Obviously I can just take them out at different times if I have to. I can't hook both dogs up to the line at once. i could hook one dogs leash around the pole I suppose. I dont want them tangled though. They also have those like ground stakes, do you think those actually work?

Mostly just curious and looking for ideas :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I use ground stakes. They work great. That's what I recommend, vinyl coated cable staked into the ground. The corkscrew type stakes are generally pretty secure. Congratulations on your first home and good luck w your new dog.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
That's great you found a temporary solution until you can build a fence. Were I live I also have a yard and no fence. But when I am able to move out into my own house I deffinitly plan on building a fence for Sawyer.
At the moment I use long lines, the one I currently have is 50 ft. While it is a pain in the but to carry around and untangle, I really like having it. It gives him the chance to run around and explore the entire yard, without worrying about him running off.

I think there are cheaper fencing options that you could use temporarily with supervision. My mom bought one of those zipline dog tie out (like how the clothsline works) although I don't use it, it might be a good option for now since your going to have 2 dogs. If I remember correctly she got it for $20 at either petco or petsmart. And you can set it up so they are far enough away from each other so they don't get tangled.
I would deffinitly say when you get your husky, work hard on leash training if he's not comfortable with them, and it might be worth it to see if you can find a fenced in area for him to run.

Good luck :), and congrats on your new house

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I've heard the stakes work well, I would just make sure to use a harness and not a collar. That was if a squirrel tears through the yard and your dog chases it, when they get to the end of the line they don't hurt their neck.

Boundary training is also another option, although I wouldn't rely on that if I wasn't outside with the dog.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Make sure if you use the stake that you get a heavy-duty one. They can be pulled out of the ground by a dog, and a Husky certainly has the breeding to do that.
Yes, be sure to get a good one... I put my 55 pound Am. Bulldog/lab on one to run while everyone was outside, and she jerked it halfway out of the ground in one lunge. Now she has a very long pulley/cable run to excise on instead. We can't give her a chance to get loose because she loves to chase birds and she'll be gone in a flash. If you decide to get a run for the husky, be sure to get one that is strong enough to handle pulling.... maybe one 'size' up from what your husky weighs. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts