Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in Canada, and for the past week, it's been -30C to -40C. It takes a lot of motivation to get myself out into that weather. Chester gets cold and I get cold even quicker. So what do you guys do for exercise when it's super cold out? It's uncomfortable for both of us when it's this cold, so are time outside is significantly shorter. Normally we try to keep play and rough housing as an outdoor activity, but maybe we could do a bit of play inside when it's cold. IDK !! Suggestions maybe?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in Minnesota and it has been equally as cold here the last few days. We rely on a lot of puzzle toys. Kongs, wobblers, busy buddy toys and we do a lot of find it games. I hide treats all over the house and she has to find them. Thankfully she also has a puppy friend so they have indoor playdates when it is cold. Another thing we do is walk indoors. There are quite a few stores near me that allow dogs, so we frequent those when it is freezing. Lowes and Home Depot are great because they are big stores and the people there love her.

If all else fails I grab some high value treats and throw them down the stairs. That wears her out!

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
I'm in Canada too! Where are you that it's been that cold?! We've only had a few of those days so far :p

I find the biggest deterrent is the wet and frozen face type weather. If I'm not about to get frostbite, we go out and the little one gets a jacket. If you can avoid getting wet, that helps a ton. Invest in good waterproof/warm boots and jacket, mitts, hats, and scarves. make sure you're visible.

Other than that we just do a ton of brain games-I find it tires them faster anyways. One of mine isn't good with other dogs (she's learning) but Doppler can do puppy play dates for exercise too, assuming we've already done some training so he's not totally pent up at the other dogs. Make sure you let out some steam in whatever way is easiest for your dog before going this route-you want to avoid fights and too much energy is a good way to start them.

There's lots of indoor slow conditioning you can do too-sort of like mini workouts for your dog. Fitpaws has lots of gym equipment and there's FB groups and the like with lots of info and exercises for various things.

You may try taking up a class with him and learning scent, rally-o, etc., too. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Kwenami
I'm from Manitoba, and trust me, I have the best winter gear I can afford.

When it's this cold, you don't get wet at all because any bit of mioster freezes instantly. It is perfect frostbite condition, and the best of winter gear begins to fail.

Thanks for the reply, I will try some of what is mentioned. Scent games sound like a lot of fun.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
@Kwenami
I'm from Manitoba, and trust me, I have the best winter gear I can afford.

When it's this cold, you don't get wet at all because any bit of mioster freezes instantly. It is perfect frostbite condition, and the best of winter gear begins to fail.

Thanks for the reply, I will try some of what is mentioned. Scent games sound like a lot of fun.
Fair enough I'm in the northern-south part of Ontario...where wet and -40 is a thing somehow (freezing rain is also super common, and within an hour it's back to the weird low temps and black ice everywhere...super dangerous to go outside, do not recommend). I think part of the wet comes from being inside the city right now-lots of weird buildings emitting heat they shouldn't be. I figured you'd have good gear just best to re-iterate :p I recently found new winter boots and so far so good....

Anyhow, you could try a flirt pole/playing tug, too, on top of the other things I mentioned. Pretty basic way to tire a dog out, though it can be more tiring to you and get boring.

·
Registered
951 Posts
also from MN. It has been a pretty mild winter, one cold snap about 2 weeks ago, and some cold today. I was going to cite Lowes and Home Depot as good places to get some inside exercise, provided you have a well behaved dog.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Kwenami Sounds like you have some pretty deadly weather over there.

There is a forum sticky on how a flirt pole is made at home, and I think I'll make it. Though it may be a difficult to to play with indoors. But thank you for the suggestions. :)
@akodo1 I have too ken Chester to a few petstores and he does fine. But there are very few stores that allow dogs in my area unfortunately. Unless I wanted to go for a hour drive to the city. But I'll keep that in mind, for days I can make a get away.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
@Kwenami Sounds like you have some pretty deadly weather over there.

There is a forum sticky on how a flirt pole is made at home, and I think I'll make it. Though it may be a difficult to to play with indoors. But thank you for the suggestions. :)
I had a friend visit yellowknife for a few years (work) and come back...he says he prefers the cold of yellowknife over the cold/wet combination we get here. It's probably easier to deal with just one =\ Luckily, we only have it drop to -40 without windchill for a few weeks of the year typically. -20 to -30 and wet is pretty typical though, which sucks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Flirt pole is basically pvc piping and thin rope, (the rope should have a slight amount of elasticity.)

I made 2 flirt poles, a long one for outside and a smaller one that I use in our basement or large garage.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I don't think my guys recognize cold, I'm pretty sure they just notice that it isn't hot. We were out today for an hour and a half, and it was around -20 with the wind chill, so not quite as cold, but definitely not nice. We keep warm by doing as much moving around as possible. For them that involves chasing each other or fetch, and my husband and I try to walk around as much as we can to keep our feet warm. And then of course we always have tea when we get back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.