Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I found a video that suggested making a scratch board for dogs that don't like getting their nails clipped and I finally got around to making one for my dog and it's great!

All you need to do is glue some sand paper to a wooden board (or cardboard layered to make it thick, which is what I did) and get the dog to scratch the board.

I taught my dog Asha how to use it by asking her to shake the first couple of times with the board in my hand (she can shake with both paws) and when her paw made contact with the board I rewarded her, then when she got used to that I applied the new cue which is paw.

I'm still working on getting her used to clippers but in the mean time this seems to be working for us.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Just might try that this winter as Kris, my Doberman, hates to have her nails clipped and you can only take such a little bit off each time, it is a constant thing to try and shorten her nails.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I haven't tried a dremel, but I don't know if it would work for Asha. She just in general is very sensitive about her paws being touched, even when there is no clippers around. So that is why the scratch board works for her because I don't touch her paws and she does the action by herself so she doesn't get stressed like she does if I try to clip her nails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts