Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Available for adoption: 1 year old, mixed breed. Occasionally responds to the name "Pixel". Willing to ship worldwide. First come first serve.

:D:D:D:D

So all winter long Pixel and I worked on recall and she was doing SO well. Not perfect, but pretty well. To the point that all our forest walks were off-leash.

Well, thank you spring for coming along, waking up all those little hibernating critters and BOOM -- what recall? It's not even that she doesn't/can't hear me. Oh no. Today she started running off after a scent, I called her name. She stopped, looked at me. I called her again and asked her to come. She turned and ran off the other direction happy as a clam.

alsfjlasjeflkasjfelaksjfe;oisjegalkegalskejfa;oseaosiejgfasd,ase

Back on the long line she goes!! :rolleyes:

Please please please tell me this is just adolescence and that my sane dog will return to me eventually...

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Silly dog!:p

To answer the question, no. This is a common training error. It has to do more with the 3D's and criteria than an adolescence specific problem ime.

When a new distraction is present even in an environment you normally work with your dog, best thing to do is drop your expectations and start by working at a previous stage you know your dog is very likely to succeed. Allows success and reinforcement of what you do want right away, prevents unintentional reinforcement of unwanted behavior (blowing a recall and having fun exploring), and imo helps to decrease conflict in the dog. That stop and look happens a lot when a dog is conflicted.... dog wants both and has to choose!;)

So next time, go in with her already on the line. Work easy and super fun recall exercises specifically with animal scent in mind.... Maybe you come across a deer trail.... play an exciting recall game right there. Over time you'll be able to raise your criteria likely back to where it was before when you weren't dealing with a new distraction.:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silly dog!:p

To answer the question, no. This is a common training error. It has to do more with the 3D's and criteria than an adolescence specific problem ime.

When a new distraction is present even in an environment you normally work with your dog, best thing to do is drop your expectations and start by working at a previous stage you know your dog is very likely to succeed. Allows success and reinforcement of what you do want right away, prevents unintentional reinforcement of unwanted behavior (blowing a recall and having fun exploring), and imo helps to decrease conflict in the dog. That stop and look happens a lot when a dog is conflicted.... dog wants both and has to choose!;)

So next time, go in with her already on the line. Work easy and super fun recall exercises specifically with animal scent in mind.... Maybe you come across a deer trail.... play an exciting recall game right there. Over time you'll be able to raise your criteria likely back to where it was before when you weren't dealing with a new distraction.:)
Yes, sorry the "back on the long line she goes" comment was referencing future walks (I only had a regular leash on this walk). I think what you said about the unintentional reinforcement of unwanted behavior is EXACTLY what I'm dealing with. This plethora of scents/critters seems to have sprung up in a matter of days. It's like we went from winter to spring in 48 hours.

Two days ago while out walking in the evening (most amount of active critters!) she went tearing off after something and only returned 10 min later looking VERY out of breath and VERY pleased with herself. She was COMPLETELY amped up the whole walk home (on leash) -- which I'd never seen before. So she definitely learned the lesson "chasing animals is fun!" and now I think is actively seeking out scents to find something to chase.

So on the long-line she goes and we'll be doing more recall training. Thank god my foster-boy much prefers me to any thing else -- and he's a hunting breed! Go figure :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts