Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be a retriever not specially field-bred but more likely bred to be a household pet.

There's pros and cons I keep hearing.

-field bred dogs are too active for house or yard pets
-show bred dogs have better health certifications

I mainly want a dog for companionship and for long life and good canine health. Hunting talent is secondary in importance to me. As long as he can pick up the doves, the ducks and the pheasant without damaging the quarry and promptly return the fowl to my hand.

·
Super Moderator
644 Posts
Working/field bred dogs generally would be more active but whether that is too active depends on your lifestyle. A friend has a working line lab and she is happy with a couple of hours walking a day then she curls up on the sofa. Unless there is a ball around though, that changes everything!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Many dogs are able to switch off when not in active working mode. I know people who have working dogs at home and in the house while off duty they are just pets, they lounge, they play ball, etc and they go on ordinary walks in the country but once that hunting gear goes on they are in working mode and they know exactly what they are expected to do.
Best thing is to to talk to a few owers of working dogs and ask about their daily routine then talk to breeders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts