Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am searching for food suggestions for my 3 pups. I have always rotated flavors and brands with my pups and types of food we feed dry and wet as they are picky eaters but lately nothing I buy for them seems to keep their attention for more then a meal or two They have been vet checked and nothing is wrong with them from a medical standpoint. I am open to feeding raw or home made but I know little to nothing about it but willing to learn. I will have a Petco, Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus and retail stores near me(Walmart, Meijer, Jewel, and Target whom I happen to work for when I'm not at the vets) when we finally move and I am willing to order off of Chewy.com as well. My dogs vary in ages, my oldest is 13, my female is 9 and my youngest is 6. Thank you for all your suggestions!

Additional note they do seem to enjoy the bag of fresh pet that was gifted to us more then kibble or wet food however I was reading some recent reviews on it and found that a lot of pets are getting sick from it and the bags are foul smelly and moldy within a day or two after opening so I am hesitant to consider feeding that despite them enjoying the gifted bag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, my 2 pups have always fed grain free dry food. I heard that was best for them. Now, I am seeing on the internet that Grain Free food can cause DCM? I'm a bit worried. I know we can't believe everything we see on the internet, but is this a thing? I've been rotating brands Acana, Nature & Delicious, Fromm, and a few brands off and on. My pups are teddy bears, under 14 pds. Schizu/bichon. Thoughts on this? Seems weird that just grain free can cause this issue?

·
Registered
89 Posts
My understanding is that the DCM scare isn't because dogs need to eat grains (they don't) but because they cannot absorb the protein in legumes as well as we thought they could. Legumes and grains are just "fillers" to make the kibble stick together and/or keep the price of the product low and kibble is just a convenience food that was developed to save metal for the War effort in the '40s.

This machine:

still kills fascists but I think we can spare enough metal to can dog food now.

Mine are even tinier, eleven and six pounds, so they're on prepared raw. I like this:

https://www.stellaandchewys.com/dog-food/freeze-dried-raw-dinners

when I can afford it and when I don't have access to electricity, plumbing, etc. and this:

https://www.instinctpetfood.com/dogs/raw

when I'm trying to save money so I can get the car fixed so I can get the (BLEEP) out of the city.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am searching for food suggestions for my 3 pups. I have always rotated flavors and brands with my pups and types of food we feed dry and wet as they are picky eaters but lately nothing I buy for them seems to keep their attention for more then a meal or two They have been vet checked and nothing is wrong with them from a medical standpoint. I am open to feeding raw or home made but I know little to nothing about it but willing to learn. I will have a Petco, Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus and retail stores near me(Walmart, Meijer, Jewel, and Target whom I happen to work for when I'm not at the vets) when we finally move and I am willing to order off of Chewy.com as well. My dogs vary in ages, my oldest is 13, my female is 9 and my youngest is 6. Thank you for all your suggestions!

Additional note they do seem to enjoy the bag of fresh pet that was gifted to us more then kibble or wet food however I was reading some recent reviews on it and found that a lot of pets are getting sick from it and the bags are foul smelly and moldy within a day or two after opening so I am hesitant to consider feeding that despite them enjoying the gifted bag.
well i totally understand your concern, and i highly recomend you with Pedigree Adult Dog Food:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi AnimalLover
I made great expierinces with homemade Food for my dog, she enjoying Eating it and me having fun to cook it.
I love my dog and want to care for her the best I can.

Every time I bought a tin of dog food for my dog, I stressed over what I would be feeding her because reading the double-talk (as you call it) on the can labeling is frustratingly difficult. Since I change to Homemade Dog Food i can be sure my dog gets what she needs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts