Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have been skimming posts relating to our situation but wanted to ask and see if anyone has recommendations for us!

We have two dogs, a Puggle (Tucker - 5) and a Miniature Aussie (Bella - 2). We've had both dogs on a weight loss food / allergy preventative, mainly for the puggle (Natural Balance - Lamb and Brown Rice) but need to figure something out for Bella.

We had to switch flavors because of a food allergy from the Puggle. Our second problem is that our Aussie is VERY picky when it comes to food - she will go 2 or more days without eating, even with a growling belly.

Bella has gotten quite skinny since we've put her on and both have lost a good amount of weight since we left for nearly 3 weeks for vacation. We're beginning to get a little worried about our little lady and her weight, even though she seems healthy and checks out with both daycare and the vet.

Does anyone have any recommendations for foods that pickier dogs might like that can also help in adding some meat on her bones? We've been told to get off the dietary food (obviously) and try various brands, as well as make her food which we've tried in the past. I realize a dog can only be picky for so long, if we let it happen, but we really want her to start eating and getting back up to a reasonable weight.

Any suggestions on brands, formulas, additives or recipes would be greatly appreciated!!

C+L

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Both Zignature and Candidae have limited ingredient foods that might work for both your puggle and mini aussie. Depending on the allergy you might be able to rotate between formulas of the food to keep things more interesting for your girl.

Another thing you could try is adding some canned food, just a tablespoon or so to add some calories and make the food more appetizing. The one warning I have about canned food is that some dogs decide to eat the canned food and spit out the kibble and if that happens your in a worst place then you started.

If you get desperate you can try The Honest Kitchen, if you get the base recipe you can add whatever meat you want. It might get expensive feeding two dogs that food as it's one of the more expensive ones out there.

If you are just looking to change your mini aussies food the some ones that might work are Merrick, Taste of the Wild, and Wellness,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both Zignature and Candidae have limited ingredient foods that might work for both your puggle and mini aussie. Depending on the allergy you might be able to rotate between formulas of the food to keep things more interesting for your girl.

Another thing you could try is adding some canned food, just a tablespoon or so to add some calories and make the food more appetizing. The one warning I have about canned food is that some dogs decide to eat the canned food and spit out the kibble and if that happens your in a worst place then you started.

If you get desperate you can try The Honest Kitchen, if you get the base recipe you can add whatever meat you want. It might get expensive feeding two dogs that food as it's one of the more expensive ones out there.

If you are just looking to change your mini aussies food the some ones that might work are Merrick, Taste of the Wild, and Wellness,
Rain - thank you for the response!!

Re-reading my post, I'd like to quickly clarify that the food allergy and dietary is only for the Puggle, but Bella has been stuck with his diet for the time being. Also, for whatever reason, they will not eat without each other - whether that's because of the flavor of food or hungriness.

We have tried canned food, as well as small amounts (tablespoon or two) of turkey, chicken, broth, etc., and these two would put up an absolute fight if the next meal didn't have it.

You mention dogs only eating the canned food or 'treats' - this could not be more true with our two. This is partially why I ask if some of you make your own or have a brand that includes all of the good stuff, so they can't pick and choose.

We will definitely give Merrik, TOW and Wellness a try for Bella, however the end goal is to find something they both like while not messing with allergies, weight or crazy homemade recipes.

One thing we have not fully tried is rotating foods, which might be the trick to getting her more into her meals and keeping him at a good weight.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
We have found rotating food helps with ours, she seems to get bored with the same food day in and day out.

·
Registered
785 Posts
d
Hello all!

I have been skimming posts relating to our situation but wanted to ask and see if anyone has recommendations for us!

We have two dogs, a Puggle (Tucker - 5) and a Miniature Aussie (Bella - 2). We've had both dogs on a weight loss food / allergy preventative, mainly for the puggle (Natural Balance - Lamb and Brown Rice) but need to figure something out for Bella.

We had to switch flavors because of a food allergy from the Puggle. Our second problem is that our Aussie is VERY picky when it comes to food - she will go 2 or more days without eating, even with a growling belly.

Bella has gotten quite skinny since we've put her on and both have lost a good amount of weight since we left for nearly 3 weeks for vacation. We're beginning to get a little worried about our little lady and her weight, even though she seems healthy and checks out with both daycare and the vet.

Does anyone have any recommendations for foods that pickier dogs might like that can also help in adding some meat on her bones? We've been told to get off the dietary food (obviously) and try various brands, as well as make her food which we've tried in the past. I realize a dog can only be picky for so long, if we let it happen, but we really want her to start eating and getting back up to a reasonable weight.

Any suggestions on brands, formulas, additives or recipes would be greatly appreciated!!

C+L
Because my dogs are high energy working lines. I like them slim. Better for joints. But one in particular, would go very thin. So used Satin Balls. A recipe used just before shows, to put sparkle into the coat. Very fattening.
Satin Balls ~~~
All ingredients are uncooked RAW and "Satin Balls" are served raw.
Satin Balls for Little Dogs -- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 Tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt
Satin Balls Half Recipe
5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1/2 large box Total cereal (about 6 cups cereal)
1/2 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 7.5 cups oats)
5 raw eggs1/2 of 15oz jar wheat germ (about 2 cups)
5 packages Knox unflavored gelatin
5/8 cup vegetable oil (this is pretty close to 2/3 cup)
5/8 cup unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Full Recipe
10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)
1 large box Total cereal (about 12 cups cereal)
1 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 15 cups oats)
10 raw eggs
1 15oz jar wheat germ
10 packages Knox unflavored gelatin
1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 and 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt
Brilliant stuff. Works in 7 days.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Can you tell me what a mini aussie is?
Is that a sheltie?.

So ignorant of the plethora of unusual to australia breeds on here, you truly are spoilt for choice!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am having same problem with my Aussie. Have tried orijen, acana. I have added yogurt, coconut oil, fish oils. tried natural variety instinct rabbit and chicken. Now ordered venison to try. I have also tried adding raw. I have gave him three different choices so he could choose for himself with no luck. Feeding him from my hand works sometimes. ?

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
wt-loss for one k9, & better digestion / Absorption for the other

d

Because my dogs are high energy working lines. I like them slim. Better for joints. But one in particular, would go very thin. So used Satin Balls. A recipe used just before shows, to put sparkle into the coat. Very fattening.

Satin Balls ~~~
All ingredients are uncooked RAW and "Satin Balls" are served raw.

Satin Balls for Little Dogs --
or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

Satin Balls Half Recipe
5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

Satin Balls Full Recipe
10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)

Brilliant stuff. Works in 7 days.

Rather than "fattening" - which yes, they would be, as a steady part of one's diet - i'd just call them "fat". :rofl:
If U want to add condition & muscle, this isn't the way to do it, IME - yes, it will give a nice shiny coat, but most any fat-source will do that, & for a dog who's intolerant of beef / wheat / oats / eggs, a big flare-up of their symptoms would result.
Feeding beef-suet, sugar, & cereal won't add muscle to a scrawny frame - just pad it with fat. :eek:

Also, a note of warning re: sudden increases of dietary fat in dogs -
one or both of these can occur, pancreatitis which can be quite dangerous, & / or less dangerous but highly inconvenient, diarrhea.
Having to clean-up semi-liquid feces isn't my idea of a good time - so if U make these, give SMALL pieces to change over gradually. That the dog will, of course, love it, doesn't mean they can have 4 or 5 pieces the 1st day! - even if the dog has no dietary intolerances / sensitivities at all, a nice big blob of fat in the diet has consequences.

To illustrate it, the most-common annual cause of what vets delicately call "gastric indiscretion" is either T-day or Xmas, when doting owners GIVE THE DOG a nice big hunk of crispy-brown, incredibly-fatty turkey skin, or ham fat - ooh, yum! :happydance: ANd the dog gobbles it up... & a few hours later, it's either on the carpet as vomit, or on the floor or in the yard, as diarrhea.
Not a good holiday memory - vivid, but not happy. :eek:

I have 2 suggestions - 1 for the porky Pug-mix, to help peel off the flab, & 1 for the scrawny Aussie, to add not fat nor coat-gloss, but muscle tissue & nutrients.

For the Pug-X, add plain canned pumpkin AKA pumpkin-puree to his meals.
This is GRAS / Generally Regarded As Safe, but I'd clear it with yer vet ahead of time, anyway. :) And no - B4 U ask, there is no substitute that i know of for the PUMPKIN - not butternut squash, not nuthin'. Pumpkin contains a tremendous amount of insoluble fiber, AND it smells & tastes sweet, while containing minimal calories; all it does is bulk the diet, satiate the dog, & add few calories to their intake.

Specific directions:
- Measure every meal; don't cheat. :eek:
- DEDUCT either 1/4 or 1/3 of the volume from the dog's current regular meal; 1/4 to lose flab slowly, 1/3 to take it off a bit faster.
- SUBSTITUTE an equal volume of plain canned pumpkin for the missing amount.
- Feed the dog. :p

that's it! - simple, no way to mess it up. It doesn't matter if the dog eats homecooked, BARF, dry kibble, chill-packed 'sausage' dog-food... any diet; it's volume, not calories.
Most dogs adore pumpkin, & will eat it right out of the can, as-is; stick a [clean] finger or spoon into a just-opened can, offer it to yer dog, & see how fast it vanishes.

Obviously, even a Great Dane or Engl Mastiff won't eat a whole can at one meal - so the remainder will be refrigerated, & some dogs lose their enthusiasm when it's cold. Not to worry; give the chilled pumpkin 10 to 20-secs in the microwave [depending on the wattage of the unit, & the Am't of pumpkin] to warm it up, & restore the aroma. :thumbsup:

To make serving it as simple as possible, scoop measured portions onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, freeze till they're firm, then pop them in a ziplock bag, expel the air, & seal it tightly - they'll keep frozen for 6-mos, easily. // Take out as needed, to thaw & serve.

U can keep pumpkin as a part of the daily diet indefinitely -
for instance, 1/3 pumpkin plus 2/3 the volume of the dog's usual diet for fat-loss, then when U reach the target wt,
reduce it to 1/4 volume of pumpkin & 3/4 volume of everyday-diet, as a maintenance routine.

Pumpkin also helps to express the anal glands, for dogs with a tendency to blockage or abscess. :thumbsup:

===========================

Dog #2:
to improve her ability to maintain body-condition, & to increase her NUTRIENT absorption -
keep her diet the same, but give her both high-potency probiotics & digestive enzymes.

Some dogs don't secrete the amount or range of dig-enzymes they need, in order to break down their food into assimilable packets; thus they discard a lot of their food as undigested waste, in their feces.
[GSDs are especially susceptible to this issue, as well as other GI issues from IBS to gut-motility problems, "emotionally-triggered diarrhea", & other hassles, but any individual dog, of any breed or mix, can have digestive or gut issues.]

Does she ever have "gassy guts"? - audible rumbling or gurgles in her abdomen, or U can feel the gut contract or even spasm, or feel bubbles move, or she has malodorous gas? -
Dig-enzymes & probiotics can help with both the discomfort, & the outgassing; well-digested food in non-ruminant mammals doesn't produce lots of gas expelled as farts. Instead, small amounts of gas are expelled as belches, or with the stool during a BM, & there's much-less [or no] abdominal discomfort.
[Boxers & Brit Bulldogs, who are closely related, are 2 breeds notorious for room-clearing gas attacks; dig-enzymes & probiotics can help them, too.]

HIGH-POTENCY PROBIOTICS must be kept refrigerated, or the critters will die. With billions of microbes per capsule, the extra hassle is well-worth it, IME; open the capsule & pour the powder out, onto a Tbsp or so of organic yogurt; stir to incorporate the powder, & plop onto the food to serve.
If U drop in the capsule, it may not be eaten at all; if U pour the powder on, merely sniffing sends thousands or millions of microbes flying; hence mix it B4 serving, to get the full benefit. :thumbsup:

Here are 2 very high-quality capsules:

https://www.renewlife.com/ultimate-flora-probiotics.html

https://www.renewlife.com/digestive-enzymes/digestmore-ultra.html

Notice that if U sign-up to get deliveries on a schedule, U get 15% off the list price.
It's also possible to find these specific items [name-brand & potency, etc] on sale at various retail stores [physical & virtual].

HTH,
- terry

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
'mini' in size only - FULL-SIZE typical Aussie issues, LOL

Can you tell me what a mini Aussie is?
Is that a sheltie?.

nope - they're just bog-standard Aussies [Aus Shepherd] shrunk to about 2/3 size. :D
Oddly, they bark just as much as the full-size versions... :rofl: U'd think a little less, but no!...
And some bite just like Std Aussies, or are stranger-intolerant like ACDs, & so on.

- terry

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an extremely picky Aussie and I find rotating kibble with raw toppers or canned for on top keeps her eating well. Sometime she just isn’t hungry so I don’t fuss over it. My dog loves Stella and Chewy or Primal for raw toppers, canned food I like Weruva. As for Kibble I rotate between Taste of the Wild, Stella and Chewy, and Acana. My dog has no food allergies and doesn’t have a sensitive stomach. Also if mine is being super picky, I just mix up a tsp of peanut butter with a little hot water and pour it over her food. Another thing is if your Aussie is being picky try feeding out of a puzzle toy, sometimes the brain stimulation helps with eating.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an extremely picky Aussie and I find rotating kibble with raw toppers or canned for on top keeps her eating well. Sometime she just isn’t hungry so I don’t fuss over it. My dog loves Stella and Chewy or Primal for raw toppers, canned food I like Weruva. As for Kibble I rotate between Taste of the Wild, Stella and Chewy, and Acana. My dog has no food allergies and doesn’t have a sensitive stomach. Also if mine is being super picky, I just mix up a tsp of peanut butter with a little hot water and pour it over her food. Another thing is if your Aussie is being picky try feeding out of a puzzle toy, sometimes the brain stimulation helps with eating.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Fish sauce: most supermarkets have this in asian cooking section. 2-3 shakes over every meal. Smells er, gross. Dog should love it. Or tinned sardines help my guest dogs get over the picky part of stay. 1 fish per meal. Usually 5 in tin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts