Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I need HELP with my dogs diet!! I am so frustrated... I have a 3yr old Yellow Lab -Male. His name is Kane. He has allergies to everything and I'm having a hard time finding what to feed him. First 2 years of his life was a mystery for us and the vet. He tried salmon and potato kibble, salmon and sweet potato and lamb and rice. He was constantly itching, had ear infections every couple of months. Was on ear drops, steroid creams and antibiotics. He had blood tests done, skin scrapings and nothing can be found. He gives himself infections as he won't stop licking his belly and paws, scratching his chin and ears. He always got these bumps all over belly, under arms and between legs. Hair started falling out and he looked like an abused dog. We have also tried, venison, kangaroo kibble. Have tried prescription diets. Single protein diets. Nothing worked and infections continue. The beginning of this year we put him on a raw food diet. Started with raw turkey, then raw duck with no improvement. Then we tried beef - he threw up. Then we tried lamb - no improvement. Then we tested him for food sensitivities and intolerance. Dr. Dodds test in US. The test results came back that the only meat protein that he can eat is Rabbit! He can also tolerate eggs. So no grains, no potato, no sweet potato. Not sure if Rabbit is doing much good either but is a little better and very expensive and hard to find. On Rabbit he lost 20lbs as it is a very lean protein. He was eating vegetable with it and I was adding the antioxidants to his food (Phyt'n Chance). I was very concerned about weight loss and told vet. Problem is I can't give him carbs like rice or other grains and no potatoes. I'm at a loss. This past week he is back on antibiotics and Vanectyl (which I don't want to give him). He is suffering though. Has taken chunks out of his body by biting himself all the time. He is limping when his paws are sore. So today I fed him cooked eggs, squash, broccoli and carrots. Poor guy needs some good protein. Can anyone help me with any high protein home made recipes? There is also a non-steroidal medication called Atopica which costs $1000 a month and I can't afford.
I am hoping someone on this forum may have experienced something similar or may have a solution. PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
When you fed raw, how long of a trial period did you give for your dog to adjust and have any kind of effect?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Have you at any point taken him off meat entirely? I would be tempted to just use lentils and split peas as you main protein and add grated steamed veggies. Some dogs cannot tolerate meat at all. Dr Dodd talks about veggie diets in this article.
If you choose to do this long term get help from a nutritionist. You can start with equal amounts of lentils split peas and veggies to see if there is any change. You will need to wait about a month to see if this will help.
Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Addressing Pet Sensitivities to Foods with...

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
This is my dog Kane and this is his skin condition.
I forgot to add this. You can use it in the bath and directly on the skin in a poultice. I have used it for a long time for many different things. It actually seams to heal faster than antibiotic creams and you don't have to worry about it getting licked off because it can be used internally. It dries and keeps the skin from getting infections. It is also very soothing to the skin. I have used it on my dogs and myself on cuts and abrasions. You use it anywhere there is bacteria. I would use it inside and out at this point.
https://earthslivingclay.com/1702/heal-your-pet-naturally-with-calcium-bentonite-clay/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts