Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day guys

I want to check if this is normal behavior

I try not to give kibble to my dog, but real food, either boiled, or baked, even dried

So in this case I want to see, if it is normal for a dog to have sudden changes in likes, as an example,I gave her dried chicken feet and she left them there untouched for 2 days until I decided to just throw them away, (This happened many times before, but this is the second time I try to be strict, and it has been almost 2 days now and hasn't touched her plate)

I baked some chicken breast for her, and she refuses to eat it(When she has eaten it before), and know it is not that she is sick as A) she is her loving cuddling self B) I purposely dropped some meat and a vanilla cookie and she devoured them both, but now the chicken is sitting there, I guess about to rot and she is now puking bile(which happened once before after she also refused to eat and I took her to the vet, who told me she was healthy and that dogs puke bile when their stomach is empty, and said she was stubborn, have her a meat treat and ate it then and there so I came home and gave her a... chicken breast fillet)

For now I will just throw the things away and just give her something else, but should I just give up when she does this or should I be strict? I just can't see her suffer and her eyes when she is puking bile are like the worst, like "Please feed me, I'm dying" (and then I get angry when she is all happy and with her care free eyes, 10 minutes later, when she got another meal instead and devoured it as fast as she could lol)

·
Super Moderator
2,487 Posts
Perhaps she just likes variety but I personally prefer to see my dog enjoy food than just eat to survive and certainly not get to the stage that he stops eating until he vomits bile.

Maybe mix it up a bit, chicken on some days, other meats on other days?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I always mix it up for my dogs. So, I’m always trying new foods. Usually if they don’t seem to care for one, I add a bone broth on top (no onions and low sodium). I use primal bone broth and find that my dogs enjoy that the most. But dogs definitely have their own likes and dislikes. My 7 year old lab he loves bird proteins and raw the most and my 1 year old likes fish and beef proteins a lot.

Raw is the freshest food you can give a dog followed by freeze dried, dehydrated, canned, and then kibble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always mix it up for my dogs. So, I’m always trying new foods. Usually if they don’t seem to care for one, I add a bone broth on top (no onions and low sodium). I use primal bone broth and find that my dogs enjoy that the most. But dogs definitely have their own likes and dislikes. My 7 year old lab he loves bird proteins and raw the most and my 1 year old likes fish and beef proteins a lot.

Raw is the freshest food you can give a dog followed by freeze dried, dehydrated, canned, and then kibble.
Yup, that I will do, to see if it helps

I guess she is still the princess and I will end up giving up anyway XD

·
Super Moderator
2,487 Posts
Can I just add to this (you may know already) that a balanced diet would have to include 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ if it was raw, I don't know whether cooking affects these ratios.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I fed our dog bananas today. She was hesitant at first but ate it with gusto after vigorous sniffing.

We plan to feed our dog like we feed our guinea pigs--mostly dog food but with regular supplementation of fresh vegetables and fruits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fed our dog bananas today. She was hesitant at first but ate it with gusto after vigorous sniffing.

We plan to feed our dog like we feed our guinea pigs--mostly dog food but with regular supplementation of fresh vegetables and fruits.
Wow, I never heard dogs eats bananas. Very interesting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I never heard dogs eats bananas. Very interesting
Yeah, in this case(months after my post) I thought of coming and checking if there was anything new, yes, my princess eats fruit, she loves(And I see now that she sometimes is not in the mood for one or other thing XD) watermelon, orange, bananas, and vegetables, like lettuce and tomato, so I just vary our diet a lot :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, I like diversity in food for dogs, and some of them enjoy a variety of foods that are positive for their health

1 - 11 of 11 Posts