Dog Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basset hound puppy who is almost seven months old. Which the breeder weaned them onto pedigree in jelly. Now I heard pedigree wasn't a good food for dogs so I wanted to ween him onto a better food which was wainwright dry puppy food. However he didn't take to it and made his stools soft and runny so put him back onto pedigree in jelly which improved is stools.

Then a while passed and his stools started coming out runny on pedigree so I weened him onto James wellbeloved dry puppy food which he has been on for months now, his stools were still formed but soft and sometimes runny apart from the first one of the day.

I was advised to decrease the amount he got per meal for a few days so his stomach could get used to the food and should improve his stools. It didn't, now I don't know what to do.

The vet said he was in excellent condition and a good weight, but he does tend to eat anything he can including leaves, which I looked up about dogs eating anything and could be a number of reasons, one being he's not getting the right amount of neutrients, which worries me if his body isn't taking well to the food but with the vet saying he was in excellent condition.

What can I do to improve his stools, do I ween him onto a new food, if so can anyone recommend a decent dry food or if there is anything else I could do, any advise would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
JW food has a lot of rice in it (not a nutritional requirement for a dog) in comparison to the animal protein ingredients (essential for dogs). Depending on which formula (lamb, duck, fish, or turkey) you are feeding, the ratio of meat to rice ranges. Almost all of their formulas are more rice than meat which, IMHO, isn't nutritionally balanced and the rice is used solely to make your dog full. Their "best" formula would be the duck, as it's the only one with a higher quantity of meat over rice.

Onto your poop problems. Has your puppy been on the same kind of formula in both foods? What is the protein source? Do these foods share any major ingredients? Food allergies can cause digestive problems, including soft or runny stool.

Food recommendations depend on your budget and what is available to you.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I would try another meat it could be a meat intolerance. It looks like you have 4 to choose from on that brand. Try another meat for about 3 months and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He has been on the lamb variety, I'm not to sure about the protein content and if they share ingredients I will have to check.

Budget is not an issue, so any recommendations would be great.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
He has been on the lamb variety, I'm not to sure about the protein content and if they share ingredients I will have to check.

Budget is not an issue, so any recommendations would be great.
I would just try the turkey variety of the food he is on first. The protein in the food is 30 % that is pretty good. You could also switch to something like the adult formula of Zignature or Go sensitive and shine. They are both single protein foods and at 7 months it would be OK to switch to an adult food. Both are also grain free. Both are good for sensitive stomachs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would seem those two foods you recommended are only available in North America, I'm in the UK, does anyone know any foods available in the UK or universally available?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the UK, having never left my country.

You want to look for a food (preferably grain-free) at this point with a single protein source, to rule out food sensitivities (my brother's husky is allergic to poultry, so he eats the lamb formula of Zignature). Some foods will say LID (or Limited Ingredient Diet). You can easily read the ingredients on the bag in person or on any grocer website that stocks dog food. If you're looking at a turkey formula, you don't want to see any other meats in the ingredients for now.

Pretty much the only food I know for absolute sure is on that side of the pond is Ziwipeak, but it is expensive, and while it is great food I am not sure that the quality justifies the price tag.

You could also potentially switch to prey model raw or whole prey, if you want to go that route and price isn't a major thing.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
It would seem those two foods you recommended are only available in North America, I'm in the UK, does anyone know any foods available in the UK or universally available?
Can you get Acana I think they have some single protein foods.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
UK can get acana online as far as i know. i do know of a few UK brands, with wainwrights have you tried the turkey and veg? what about evolution naturally? i was looking in the uk with my best friend in april/may this year. they can get taste of the wild too.

The Dog Food Directory - now listing 1431 dog foods!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help and info everyone ?. I'm thinking I'm going to try wainwright grain free turkey and veg, only because it's the easiest for me to access as they sell it at pets at home which I live ten minutes from.

Would the adult one be ok for him as he is 7 months old or would junior if they offer a junior version like James wellbeloved does, I'm going to guess the weening process would be the same by gradually adding more on daily basis.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Pets at home also sell evolution naturally if wainwright don't work out. Wainwright turkey and veg really helped my best friends dog eat and not have runny poop. With her dog being a chihuahua very important he eats and he was barely eating. I didn't blame him seeing the ingredients meat and animal detratives 4% . She was feeding supermarket trays of food to him.

She happy with the help gave her especially now sweety is eating well and firm poop. Told her dogs need at least 70% meat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so he has been on this grain free food for about a week. Not completely on its own I've mixed it with the old food to. Wean him onto it.

Now I've never seen his stool so bad. Really wet and runny. It's the worst I've seen when weaned on a new food. What to do now. Do I carry on and hope it improves?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
It takes a while to get adjusted. At this point I would not feed the old food just the new. Wait another week to see if it changes. Did you change meat or food brands when you switched?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I changed from James wellbeloved to wainwright grain free.

This might be for another topic but why is my dog literally eating anything and I mean anything. We took him on a walk and he was fast for us but we caught him on time but he was trying to eat some glass, he's also got a hold of my work badge which has a pin on the back which he was chewing on, why would he not realise it would hurt, he's also got cardboard, plastic plants, anything and will try to eat it. Now I know I have to be very observant with what he puts in his mouth but sometimes he's to fast, we have majority of things off the floor. Outside is worse because there is so much on the ground and he his fast.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sometimes, adding some canned pumpkin puree (100% pumpkin) to their meals can help firm things up. Just a spoonful. I also occasionally add a teaspoon of slippery elm powder (I got mine from Amazon, but not sure about UK sources but it's not a prescription med, just a digestive supplement). It helps calm the lower intestine if the pup is having the runs or squirts.

Edited to add that both my dogs went through a diarrhea phase as puppies, and I never did really find out if it was because of something on the ground that they got into, something in the food that disagreed, etc. For the longest time with Cobber (now 2.5 years old with a stomach of iron), he was so apt to get the squirts -- usually at 2 am -- that I was convinced he was allergic to anything poultry, so we stayed away from ANYthing with any poultry in it for the first year. Turns out he was just a sensitive pup as he built up his intestinal fortitude, so while both dogs are on Fromm grain-free and rotate through all the different proteins, we no longer avoid chicken/turkey/duck foods or treats at all.

I'm obviously not trying to make it seem like there's nothing wrong - if you're concerned and the poop gets bad enough for more than a couple days, please see a vet to rule out parasites or any other medical issue. But having gone through this with both dogs during their first 6 months, and having the vet do countless poop cultures and find nothing wrong with either dog, I'm just saying that it's possible your pup needs some time to get used to things as you try out different foods and treats. The vet did prescribe Forti-Flora enzyme powder to be sprinkled on top of the food. It's technically by prescription only, but it's available to anyone via amazon.com, so I have a box in the cupboard just in case. There are other digestive enzymes for dogs available online that might also help with transitioning from one food to another if it seems to upset your pup's intestines.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I changed from James wellbeloved to wainwright grain free.

This might be for another topic but why is my dog literally eating anything and I mean anything. We took him on a walk and he was fast for us but we caught him on time but he was trying to eat some glass, he's also got a hold of my work badge which has a pin on the back which he was chewing on, why would he not realise it would hurt, he's also got cardboard, plastic plants, anything and will try to eat it. Now I know I have to be very observant with what he puts in his mouth but sometimes he's to fast, we have majority of things off the floor. Outside is worse because there is so much on the ground and he his fast.
Often when dogs have stomach issues they will try and eat grass or dandelion greens to help with indigestion. It is Ok to let them eat it, it will help them purge the bile that builds up in the stomach. If they can't get to grass I have seen them try to eat the weirdest stuff. I thought you just switched protein but you changed to another food so you will just have to see if his stomach settles if not you may have to change back to what he was on but in another protein.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts