Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dog with allergies, or at least we think so. He licks his paws and flank. Vet has ruled out yeast, fungus, parasites. I am searching for a kibble to feed him, and like Canine Caviar. However, there are a few ingredients I'm unsure of.

Why is there "yeast culture" in there, and what purpose does it serve? If a dog is allergic to mold, will this be a problem?

Alfalfa makes me a little nervous, as I'd prefer to stay away from grains. Does anyone have an allergic dog and feed food with alfalfa? Millet?

Why is taurine added to dog food?

Is the addition of things like fenugreek, rose hips, etc. just to entice the holistic, natural folks to buy, or do they serve a good purpose?

Lastly, the food has a good ratio of Omega 3 to 6, which I like. Is the O-3 coming from the kelp that is in the food, I assume?

Thanks to any light you can shed on this. I would love to find a food that doesn't make any allergies he may have - although I do, of course, realize that if the allergies are inhalant, the food won't make much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
i dont know much about the food canine caviar. ive never seen it.

yeast culture- contains b vitamins and enzymes and some think it encourages growth of good bacteria in the intestines... i think its a useless ingredient.
alfalfa and millet- these boost to protein in the foods. i personally do not like protein that is not a meat source though.
taurine- this is usually in cat food because cats have to have taurine, dogs do not require taurine.
rose hips- these have huge amounts of vitamin c in them.
fenugreek-this is used to treat high cholesterol imn dogs.
it depends on the ingredients in the specific food. so i cant say that the omegas are coming from just the kelp specifically. but kelp also has vitamins, minerals and iodine. and kelp would only have omega 3s

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

taurine- this is usually in cat food because cats have to have taurine, dogs do not require taurine.

I would check into taurine for your large breed dog. There have been studies done that say that large breeds do need extra over what they manufacture on their own for proper heart muscle function.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

I would check into taurine for your large breed dog. There have been studies done that say that large breeds do need extra over what they manufacture on their own for proper heart muscle function.
i dont have a large breed dogs, i have giant breeds ;)

im well aware of that too. but im saying they put taurine in cat food because they can not produce it on their own. dogs do not require it in their food because they do produce it on their own. basically, dont avoid a food because it does or does not have taurine.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
i dont have a large breed dogs, i have giant breeds ;)

im well aware of that too. but im saying they put taurine in cat food because they can not produce it on their own. dogs do not require it in their food because they do produce it on their own. basically, dont avoid a food because it does or does not have taurine.
I was talking about large and giant breeds. Since danes have a higher chance of having heart issues I thought you might want to look into it.

Low plasma taurine concentration in Newfoundland dogs... [J Nutr. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts