Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a food for steady weight gain? Peter Pickles is till very lea would like for him to put on about 5 pounds. He's been on the same food since I've had him with still not weight gain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any recommendations for a food for steady weight gain? Peter Pickles is till very lea would like for him to put on about 5 pounds. He's been on the same food since I've had him with still not weight gain.
Have you had the dog checked by a veterinarian? Being underweight could be a sign of a health issue—and, a veterinarian could offer a prescription diet designed for weight gain anyway. At the very least, a vet could help make a recommendation.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Have you upped his food intake?
What food is he on currently?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try some dog food suppliers. May be this can help. They include necessary supplements that is required for their growth. If you wish you can try once.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I would check with your Vet, just to be sure there is no underlying medical issue. If not, your Vet can help you find the right food for him.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I agree, the first step would be to consult the vet.

My trainer's BC is an un-neutered high energy male and struggles to keep weight on (he burns off everything he eats). She has recently started feeding him satin balls and that has helped him start to thicken up. They are extremely high in protein so you would have to watch to make sure he didn't put on lbs too quickly.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Like others said, vets are a good place to start. You can also try feeding meals more often.

Also, lean isn't the worst thing for a dog to be *if* they have well defined muscling. Prowl, Tesla, and Streak all look and feel scrawny, but have muscles for days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts