Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! :) So. my mother has a 2.5 y/o purebred Labrador who has pretty significant hip displaysia in both hips (she walks kind of bow-legged behind) She would like a food with Glucosamine and MSM/a food made for joints that is BUDGET-FRIENDLY. She has tried both the Veterinary Prescription Diet food (too pricey) and Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula (loose and bright yellow stools) and was not satisfied with either, doesn't want anything by either brand, and for whatever reason she doesn't really like dietary supplements, so looking for a food that is good for Hips/joints... and for someone on a tight budget ! any help appreciated :)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
You wont find one that has enough of anything in it to actually do any good. I would skip the prescription food most is just pure junk. find a good high quality food one of my favorites is Zignature. You will have to add a supplement if you want to give the dog relief. I have been using this for a while now and it has changed my hounds life. Its easy to give and works. This is what the stuff is and you can read the clinical trials that is what convinced me to try it.
SUPER SNOUTS … Clinical Trials
However I order it this way it is more cost effective.
Swanson Premium New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel, Freeze Dried 500 mg 60 Caps - Swanson Health Products
I got the dosage off the super snout site.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Add a separate joint supplement instead of going for a prescription food. More effective and probably cheaper. I feed Canidae and have been very happy w it, it's high quality and is only $48 for a 44lb bag. As far as supplements, SmartPak makes some good ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ there are supplements for joints aside from glucosamine, which I do not necessarily recommend, at least from my experience. I've had good luck w MSM in horses. There's also chondroitin. Many supplements combine all 3.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually had bought her the hip/joint supplement that Smartpak makes themselves and she didn't like it because she said it was too many pills in one pack (the dog's 65 lbs) and she said she didn't feel it really made a difference. I actually was the one who told her that the Vet Prescription diets are garbage and not to bother but she's also not really happy with Blue Buffalo (don't blame her I don't feed BB myself) appreciate the input!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would recommend maybe trying a powdered (you would have to wet the food and mix in) or chewable MSM/chondroitin/possibly glucosamine just for good measure supplement in that case. You can find a wide variety on a quick Google search.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 15 year old lab has had hip dysplasia and arthritis since he was 9. Supplements do not do much for dogs that already have the condition. Your best bet is to keep her on a healthy diet to keep her weight down.

Your dog is too young to have such bad hip dysplasia at an early age. Since she is purebreed you may want to contact the breeder. Mine only developed his later in life. Surgery may be the best option for a long and pain-free life. If you are recommended pain meds use supplements with those. The pain medicine affect the liver so we use Milk Thistle to counter this. Turmeric is also a good supplement. Petsmart sells pill pockets that my dog gobbles up. You can also try coating them in peanut butter and sandwiching it between a cookie to get her to eat it.

But honestly I'd look into surgery for her is she was my dog. My dog is too old for surgery and when he was getting bad at 12 years of age we definitely werent going to because we thought "oh he wont live much longer" He's 15 now XD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts