Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Looking for some food recommendations for a specific case.

Here is some lengthy background.

Over the course of the past 9-10 months, Ellie has had sporadic cases, about 1 per month, in which she doesn't want to eat in the morning. No kibble. No treats. Not even her favorites. Three times, she puked up bile in the morning. Each time, her energy was super high, as usual. She wanted to run and play. She just didn't want to eat. Per vet recommendation, I'd give her Zantac or Pepcid, and she'd be ready to eat as early as mid-day, but sometimes not until dinner. She was always hungry at dinner.

Per check-ups on this, the vet feels she's fine except that she might be getting reflux due to an empty stomach overnight. She said that I can try giving her a light snack before bed and/or nightly Pepcid. I tried the snack route, which seemed to work as she went a full two months with no issues. Over the last couple of weeks, however, she started being a bit reluctant about her food in the morning.

Last Thursday, she puked bile in the morning but was fine by mid-day. I decided it was time to go with nightly Pepcid. The next couple of days she ate breakfast fine. Yesterday, however, she didn't want to eat for a few hours again. I'll talk to the vet again. However, I'm thinking I'll try Pepcid AND a bedtime snack. In addition, I think her stomach is irritated from perhaps a few weeks of reflux, which is why she likely had two bad days. I'm giving her Pepcid morning and night for the next few weeks until this heals and then will go to nightly Pepcid.

SO... here's where food comes in. One of the things I did during those good two months was put canned pumpkin in her food. Just in case fiber was an issue. I got lazy and stopped a few weeks ago. Now I'm wondering if somehow the extra fiber was helping keep her reflux at bay. Perhaps by slowing her stomach motility? It's just a theory.

I checked her dog food content, and it only has about 1.5% fiber, which seems very low. It's Hill's Ideal Balance. I know people have a thing about Hill's, but I truly don't have a problem with the Ideal Balance line. Or, at least, I didn't. But I'm just not liking that fiber content. Am I right that it seems low?

So... I want to try something else. The problem is that some of the "richer" foods didn't work at all for Ellie when I tried them earlier in her adulthood. She had the WORST runs on the rich/high protein foods.

I'm not against grains, but I'd like to keep them to things like brown rice and/or oatmeal. I'm willing to spend some $, but I truly don't want to break the bank if it's not necessary.

No Blue Buffalo. Luke was on it, and he had two HORRIBLE issues that I'm convinced were related to the food. I'm not one to be neurotic about these things, but without going into detail (although I could discuss if anyone wants), I'm almost certain it was the food.

Anyone have thoughts on Fromm? I know someone who has a dog on it. I looked it up and there are a few different lines. I'm not clear on the differences. It looks like the fiber content ranges from 3-5% give or take.

Other info. Ellie is a 2-year-old, 35 lb mix. She has a very lean, athletic build. LOTS of energy. She could run and play forever. I suspect some terrier in there, but who knows. I'm fine with keeping her on chicken. I'd rather not move to a different protein if I don't have to as I want to hold others in reserve should she someday develop a protein allergy.

Thank you for your patience in reading all that! And for any suggestions. :)

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I found we got these when I wasn't feeding often enough - typically dinner was late, type of thing. It may be your dog needs more rigid schedules for eating, or you need to feed more often. If you're feeding once a day, feed twice. If you're feeding twice, feed three times. Etc.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Currently we feed her in the morning and at night, plus snack at bed. She also usually gets a stuffed kong (usually a mix of soaked kibble, maybe yogurt, etc) sometime during the day. The kong is pretty big for her, so It's almost like she's getting fed 3 times, although not quite. Plus the late night snack, typically around 10:30 p.m. or so. You think it's still not enough? It's really only in the morning that she has an issue. She's always fine in the afternoon and evening.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Zody is on Fromm and does great. I usually stick to the grain free line but I have fed the Chicken A La Veg in the past and he did fine on it.

Zody is another one that gets hunger pukes in the morning if I do not time his late night feeding correctly, or I feed him a late night feeding that's easily digestible. What I learned was to stick with kibble, or some sort of biscuit type treat and not the soft treats. I make sure to feed him some right before I go to bed rather then an hour or two before hand which also seems to help. If I don't want to feed him a full breakfast right when we get up in the morning I'll still give him a small portion of his daily kibble. Doing all of that he only seems to have hunger pukes ever few months rather then multiple times a month.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rain, that makes sense. I'd imagine a dry food would stay in the belly longer and absorb any irritating gastric fluids. Last night I gave her a biscuit and a 10 mg Pepcid. In addition, when I gave her dinner, I put canned pumpkin in there. This morning, she ate well. I'll continue to giver her a bedtime snack AND Pepcid (at least for now). I really do believe some more fiber couldn't hurt as well, given it appears to be a motility issue. Her current food is very low in fiber. I just hadn't noticed before.

I think I'll try the Fromm Classic. The 4 star line sounds great, but if the Classic is still a quality, respected food and won't break the bank, might be worth a try. I would go with the Gold, but I don't want to immediately change things up TOO much for her, and the Gold seems to have a blend of meat proteins, whereas the Classic has just chicken (and some fish meal), and might be an easier transition.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would try a single protein food. My hound had stomach issues for a long time until I figured out he was meat intolerant. The vet also recommended pepsid on a regular basis. I did not think that was a health choice. Natural balance has a good choice of single protein foods. You want to try a meat your dog has never eaten like this. If you want lower protein this would be a food to try.
L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Legume & Duck Meal Dry Dog Formula - Natural Balance Pet Foods

1 - 6 of 6 Posts