Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Athena's allergies are pretty bad and I'm on the verge of switching her since she's due for a new one soon anyways and she's on Fromm Gold now which is not grain free and oatmeal is the 5-6 ingredient I believe so I'm hoping if we switch her again it will help some. I know Zignature is great but it is a little on the pricier side and it's not in any stores near us so I'd have to order online so I think I'm going to stick with Fromm but here's where the big question is: Starches. I know she should not be getting grains, but I don't remember about starches. Mainly potatoes. Because of her allergies are starches okay or should I be looking for something without starches as well?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
It depends on the dog. Some dogs are allergic to potatoes. I'd get a small bag and see how she does. I'd also get a limited ingredient food, something with 6 or 8 ingredients* just to make it easier to pinpoint what she might react to.

ETA: *Not including vitamins and minerals.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Try raw. You can try different meats if some doesn't agree with her, and plus, you control what you put in your dog's food to make sure it's not harmful to her. It's also the best food you can give a dog and sometimes cheaper than dry food!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Try raw. You can try different meats if some doesn't agree with her, and plus, you control what you put in your dog's food to make sure it's not harmful to her. It's also the best food you can give a dog and sometimes cheaper than dry food!
Raw takes a lot of dedication, and learning. There is more to it than just feeding raw meat. I have been feeding raw for a lot years now, and unless someone is really ready to learn how, I don't recommend it. That's up to the OP if there is any intrest in learning about it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Raw takes a lot of dedication, and learning. There is more to it than just feeding raw meat. I have been feeding raw for a lot years now, and unless someone is really ready to learn how, I don't recommend it. That's up to the OP if there is any intrest in learning about it.
I agree, it does take a lot of time to learn, but there's other ways instead of learning the 80/10/10 rule and all that. When I fed raw, I fed ground prepackaged stuff with everything already added. All you have to do is portion.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I agree, it does take a lot of time to learn, but there's other ways instead of learning the 80/10/10 rule and all that. When I fed raw, I fed ground prepackaged stuff with everything already added. All you have to do is portion.
True, but you said said "different meats", making it easier to change from one to the other if one doesn't work. Pre mades are commercial, and with other stuff already mixed in you don't know for sure what is causing the potential problem. It sounds like that is the problem now, with kibble.

·
Registered
93 Posts
True, but you said said "different meats", making it easier to change from one to the other if one doesn't work. Pre mades are commercial, and with other stuff already mixed in you don't know for sure what is causing the potential problem. It sounds like that is the problem now, with kibble.
Then prepackaged raw wouldn't work. I think it would be worth a shot if I was the OP.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You can get some brands of pre-packaged raw that contain only meat, bones, organs. I believe Primal makes chubs of that. Really nothing there that could cause and allergy/intolerance issue, unless your dog has a true meat-type allergy. Most dogs are fine with the raw version of a meat, even if they can't tolerate the cooked version.

That said, by far the most allergy/intolerance issues are from the starches--such as potatoes and grains. You will not find these starchy foods in a commercial raw food, as dogs have no inherent need for carbohydrates, and they just cause all kinds of problems (all of them). The carbs are just a filler and binder for the kibbles. Added ingredients in most commercial raw are veggies and some fruits.

Another option is freeze-dried food. It is expensive, but if you have a lot of allergy issues you will save the money in vet bills and medicine. Plus your dog will be a lot happier.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@naturalfeddogs @mayarego @pappi_pup I've actually been REALLY wanting to start a raw diet but there's so much learning involved and it's very overwhelming for me. I've been calling all around my area for a nutritionist or vet who's familiar with raw feeding so that they can help me during my first however long it takes me to be comfortable on my own but so far I can't find one professional who's pro-raw or who knows anything about it :( If I ever do find someone who can help me I'd be very interested but I'd much prefer having a professional write me a meal list and help explain than to go at it myself.

I ended up caving and got Zignature... lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Haha! If you still want to learn about raw feeding and you have Facebook, you can always join some raw feeding groups. They helped me out a lot!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
@naturalfeddogs @mayarego @pappi_pup I've actually been REALLY wanting to start a raw diet but there's so much learning involved and it's very overwhelming for me. I've been calling all around my area for a nutritionist or vet who's familiar with raw feeding so that they can help me during my first however long it takes me to be comfortable on my own but so far I can't find one professional who's pro-raw or who knows anything about it :( If I ever do find someone who can help me I'd be very interested but I'd much prefer having a professional write me a meal list and help explain than to go at it myself.

I ended up caving and got Zignature... lol.
Try here. It's a site with a raw feeding getting started guide, and forums of all raw feeders. Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food

Most vets know little, if anything about nutrition.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I can understand your trepidation, if you can't find a professional to support you. Try calling some breeders of show dogs, or find someone who competes a lot in dog sports. Most of the people around here that are into those pursuits have gone totally with raw. They aren't vets or nutritionists, but they may have a lot of experience.

Good luck and hope the Zignature works out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts