Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. So I recently picked up a bag of dehydrated raw(Primal) for my cats. I read on the side that it is a warming food(chicken/salmon). I have heard this mentioned a time or two before, mainly referring to Lamb being a hot food, but I have never given it much research time on my part. Does anyone else feed according to whether their dog needs a cool,neutral,warm, or hot protein or is it not that big of a deal if at all?? Thanks :)

I have never linked anything before, I hope this works. This is one article that I read.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/allergies-food-energetics/

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't buy the whole Chinese yin yang stuff. I never have. Either a dog has intolerances, or maybe an allergy or they don't. They make it sound like "hot" and "warm" foods shouldn't be fed to any dogs. They are the most nutrious, (red meats) and need to be fed. If your dog happens to have intolerances or whatever to a certain protein just don't feed it. Otherwise, all that junk means nothing to me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In accordance with my TCVM training, I do believe there are hot and cold properties to food items (and other qualities as well; moisture, blood-building, etc).
Is it a cure-all? Certainly not, but I would avoid feeding a "hot" itchy allergy dog a chicken-based kibble (warm, dry) for instance... Not because chicken is bad for dogs, but because of it's inherent properties...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
In accordance with my TCVM training, I do believe there are hot and cold properties to food items (and other qualities as well; moisture, blood-building, etc).
Is it a cure-all? Certainly not, but I would avoid feeding a "hot" itchy allergy dog a chicken-based kibble (warm, dry) for instance... Not because chicken is bad for dogs, but because of it's inherent properties...
We are referring to raw not kibble. I believe the whole warm hot cool thing is gobbledygook.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Same properties for raw... I respect your opinion, but clinical experience has led me to believe there is truth to this. Not interested in arguing, just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I fully understand you, but IMO here's the thing. Actual true protein allergies are rare, but intolerances are much more common. One of mine has an intolerance to chicken, but not turkey, beef etc. Whatever the other "temperature" foods are considered "bad" and to stay away from. I just don't believe the temperature thing with foods. That comes from my years of experience with different proteins. Also, keep in mind a lot of meats like chicken and turkey being some of the worst are full of sodium enhancements that cause these issues like itching and such, rather than the protein itself. So, the proteins that are considered bad temperature type foods, may actually be the result of how they are sourced and treated before packaging.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Heh, you know something must be real baloney when naturalfeddogs coming out on the side of nutrition science. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts