Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have 2 one year Wheaten Terriers. Over the past 6 months Quinn has developed what the vet believes is a food allergy. It started with circular sores on his abdomen. Ring worm was ruled out. Vet says bacterial infection. Meds seemed to handle it. Then he started to develop more itchy spots and scabs. He chews on his forepaws and scratches constantly. He has been on Royal Canin Ultamino food for over 10 weeks with no improvement. His sister Chloe has a few scabby spots but nothing like Quinn.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Also, we are thinking that maybe it's not food allergy, maybe environmental or food sensitivity? Their bowel movements are pretty regular and appear normal.

I would really like to find relief for our poor puppy and I would like to get off of the very expensive prescription food. I will spend $$ on quality food but I am at a loss as what to do next. Any advise or experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
:( Our poor corgi has been suffering the same thing. It started out with a circular sore on his ear, and sores on his mouth. We went to the vet twice for this. She did tests and prescribed us lots of things and told us to switch his food. She too, ruled out ringworm and mites. Then both of his ears were getting scabby and really red. We switched him 3 or 4 times and it just wasn't letting up, and his paws started to get really itchy too, where he would legit attack us for even touching his paws to make them stop. Back to the vet we went. She told us that she really doesn't think that it was a food allergy since they had given him a shot at one point and he cleared up all allergies. He's strictly no grains, and now we give him regular paw bath treatments along with some homemade pawbalm to keep them soft. We switched him to Acana and it seemed to let up a little bit, but then his poop would get runny. Needless to say, his feet stopped itching and his mouth isn't scabby. But his ears always look so so red and scabby, and I can't get near him with ear wash to save my life. We've now put him on Blue Buffalo and his stool is solid again. Washington gives the worst allergies ever, so we're sticking with hardcore environmental allergies, and allergic to any kind of grain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Nashi has similar issues. The vet believes it's a combination of environmental and food allergies, which makes sense. Before we fed him grain-free, he chewed his paws and scratched constantly. We switched to grain-free food and there was noticeable improvement, however he still scratched. The vet realized he had very dry skin, and gave him a shot to help it. Now he will lick and chew his paws after going outside, which makes me think it's part environment - the vet then gave him an allergy shot. Still, it's not all the time anymore!

I would recommend a grain-free food, such as Taste of the Wild, Nutro, Diamond or Wellness. All are great. I personally prefer to feed TotW. Also, I recommend getting a fish-oil supplement to put in his food. That has also helped my Nashi quite a bit, in addition to a raw egg every other day.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re food allergies: You shouldn't assume that your dog is allergic to grains or additives. It may be that your pup is allergic to the proteins he's getting. We once had a dog that developed an allergic reaction to chicken. She had constant itching, irritation on her feet and developed serious ear infections from it.

Once we switched her to a different protein - turkey, I think - the symptoms cleared up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts