Dog Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Kilroy (10 years) has always resource guarded his toys, treats, and food from other dogs, and I have always made it a point to separately feed the dogs in the house when it's time. Unfortunately, last night my mother and I awoke to the sound of a loud scuffle and found my dog pinning her senior chihuahua (15 years) to the ground and snarling, shaking his head and putting his teeth on him. When we pulled him off her dog had no marks on him but was basically an anxiety-ridden mess. We found a cookie on the floor where my dog had pinned him, and we believe that it started with the two having the same interest in that. I'm just really shook up by the fact that the chihuahua is so old and frail and my dog, even at 25 pounds, is much more active and powerful than him.

Since last night the chihuahua is, as expected, very scared of my dog even though the two have lived in harmony for years, and I even had to pick him up and put him in the kitchen because he didn't want to eat. My dog also seems to be staring at him a bit more than normal, but seems a bit more standoffish. He usually puts his face up against my hand and the chihuahua's face when I'm petting him to also receive pets, but I noticed that instead he stayed farther away, laid down, and had his head turned to the side while I petted him. He also has been tentatively sniffing him as he's slinked passed him, and he seems to be "tracking" him by smelling everywhere he has been. As soon as we pulled him off he was also wagging his tail and approached him and my mother who was consoling her dog as if nothing had happened.

I just don't know how to interpret this and am just racked with guilt, because my dog is typically so loving and gentle with babies, children, dogs, etc. He just has leash reactivity that we have actively been working on and has issues with other dogs approaching his face when he's eating. I know that his sort of thing rarely happens in our house as I'm very careful about food on the floor, but I'm worried that this will happen again and escalate even further as the chihuahua is so frail. Sorry for this being long, but I am wondering what you guys would do in this situation or if anyone could help me read the body language. Thank you. :(

1 - 1 of 1 Posts