Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!

I've seen some previous threads about flying with puppies/dogs and everyone has covered the basics but I'm hoping you all can talk about your experiences and what works/what doesn't while flying.

I'll be bringing my 12 week old baby home with me for Thanksgiving on Tuesday evening. She's a 5lb Dachshund/shih tzu/Pomeranian/beagle mix. I've already done research on a carrier make arrangements with the airline & even talked to the vet. The vet recommended giving her 1/2 a children's Benadryl to make her drowsy. I'm still thinking about whether or not to do that. Thoughts?

But beyond all this... what are your tips and tricks that've worked to help puppies/dogs keep calm, be happy, or at least reduce stress. It's her first time flying. She has a thunder shirt that i'm thinking of putting on her & I'm testing out some calming pheromone spray (which im still not sure works)

Any recommendations? Doesn't have to be specifically for flying either, could be for any type of travel. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would not give any food or pills 24-18 hours before the trip. Upset stomach could cause you some issues on the plane. Also I am sure you already know this, but create training is very important! I wish you good luck, and safe travels with you baby.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know it can be hard to find advice on flying with pets because its not that common yet.
Ellie has flown twice since i brought her home four months ago. She is a samoyed and too big to fly in the cabin so she had to go underneath us. I'm not quite sure if your dog will be in the cabin with you, but what ill be describing is when the dog is flying in the baggage hold.
Here is what my experience was:
Before flying i tried to get her used to her crate as much as possible. You know the drill, letting her explore, get comfortable and slowly close the door and each time increasing the time she's in there.
She is very food oriented and if there is one thing you want to bring with you on Tuesday is treats that last a long time (i used pigs ears) that will keep her occupied.
Be at the airport in advance as well. I was honestly surprised how many members of airport staff had never worked with a flying dog. Myself i was most worried that they wouldn't accept the crate (on the internet it all looks so strict with tons of requirements) and what the whole process was.
I arrived at the airport and while checking in i said i had a dog with me. They asked for the proof of payment for her travels and then called a member of staff that would 'check her in'. That person took me to a room where they looked at the contents of the crate and scanned it for drugs and such. They honestly didn't really look at the requirements of the crate that much both times. As long as it says it is IATA certified when you buy it you have nothing to be nervous about.
We put all her stuff back in the crate and gave her the treats. Then they called baggage handlers who took her away.
Both flights went pretty smoothly, once i flew from London to Geneva and the time after that to Stockholm. Towards the end of the Stockholm flight you could actually hear her bark whilst sitting in the cabin! It was because we were landing and a two and a half hour flight had gotten her bored. However its something you could expect and most people around me on the flight found it amusing and talked about the wonders of modern travel.
When we landed i had to wait by the area set for 'special' baggage and there she was waiting. Had to show her passport at the border and explain the intentions for my stay. She was happy to see me and did not seem scared or upset.
When it comes to food and medication, i had read many times not to medicate your dog whilst flying and decided not to. She was not fed since the night before and had not gotten water four hours before the flight. Sounds cliché but the best thing you can do for her before a flight is exercise her and make her really tired so she'll sleep throughout.
I don't now where you are traveling and what the rules are there but make sure you have a passport if you need one (vet will provide it) and when you land you have to declare your pet before exiting the airport, so make sure you know what the requirements are for pets to enter that specific state or country.
I know it's stressful and when it comes down to it there are no magic fixes when travelling with dogs. It is not a common thing and people will stare, there may be accidents and it may be embarrassing if she decides to bark during the flight or whilst waiting for you sit the airport. But remember that it will be fine. Flights are safe and only last for a few hours. If flying was in anyway harmful to your pup they wouldn't allow it in the first place.
It's great that you do it early on as she'll get used to it for the next time you fly.

Best of luck!! :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If your dog has to go down below the plane I definitely wouldn't give her anything like pig ears while she's down there. There's no one to monitor or check on your pup and if she ends up choking on a piece you unfortunately won't know until you get her back and she's unresponsive in her crate. (I'm not sure if the above poster was suggesting that or not, but just so it's clear that that's not a good idea to avoid landing to a puppy that choked as that would be absolutely terrible!)

Make sure she's nice and tired just before she goes in if possible. Don't over exercise though as that can make some dogs antsy.

I would personally give a small snack so my dog isn't sick just because he's so hungry, but no large meals. I know how it feels to be stressed out and hungry, and it makes me want to puke so I'd personally give a small snack. Also 24 hours is a long time to not eat!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah okay maybe i should have specified.
Pig ears last a long time and that is for the wait at the airport. Whilst I'm with her and she has to be crated. It keeps her occupied and tires her out during the lines and such (keeps her from barking and being stressed mostly so definitely recommend that).
She gets other treats after being checked in which are to say 'good job' and to not keep her hungry.

As for the no food, Ellie would never not get food for 24h!
Both times we flew we had very early flights and she had a big meal the night before. This was a precaution as her stomach would not have had the time to digest a big breakfast before she got on the plane. So if you're flying in the afternoon/evening do feed her! Just maybe not straight before you take off.

Also i forgot to mention before that if you have the time take her for a short walk just outside of the airport :) We did this and she eliminated a little bit before she got into the crate and avoided accidents.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
My dog Jessie in April has 38.5 hour flight including seven/eight hour in dubai. Jessie can't get fed as she only eat raw. I see canine caviar would be good for her as venison no grains no fruit or vegetable but they haven't got bk to me. Was hoping for sample packs.

Please do not give any food or treats and follow instructions. Jess can't be fed six hour prior not sure if to give her daily intake or what before fly but she won't be fed till land in Manchester.

Also venture pet who she flying with told me jo meds or sedation at all before flying. As when flying especially in cargo it makes their heart rate drop too low.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
My dog Jessie in April has 38.5 hour flight including seven/eight hour in dubai. Jessie can't get fed as she only eat raw. I see canine caviar would be good for her as venison no grains no fruit or vegetable but they haven't got bk to me. Was hoping for sample packs.

Please do not give any food or treats and follow instructions. Jess can't be fed six hour prior not sure if to give her daily intake or what before fly but she won't be fed till land in Manchester.

Also venture pet who she flying with told me no meds or sedation at all before flying. As when flying especially in cargo it makes their heart rate drop too low.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts