Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be flying home for Christmas with Tucker. He'll be in the cabin and is comfortable in his crate that he'll be flying with. Just wondering if anyone has flown with their dogs and has any tips for the day of or prepping before hand.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I did not fly in the cabin but in cargo for a short two hour non-stop flight. Did lots of crate training leading up to the flight and the day before and morning of the flight exercised the crap outta him to wear him out the best I could.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Definitely do no give any calming pills. I think the airline tells you that as well that they don't recommend it or won't let let you. I think working a lot the morning of the flight would be a really good idea.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Im flying overseas to UK from New Zealand in may myself. You arent allowed any sedation or anything. if anything i have to worm her and make sure gets rabies and all vaccines up to date.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Airline mentioned that he shouldn't be sedated, although I wouldn't want to. He's a pretty calm pup so I think he'll be fine as long as he can see me. Flight is about 3 hours. The airline also mentioned some common sense stuff, like limiting his water a few hours before the flight and taking him out to do his business before checking in. I'm sure like most airports he's got to be crated the entire time he's in the airport and plane.

Getting him good and tired preflight is a great suggestion.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Well, these are probably too obvious to mention, but make sure he's wearing a well fitted flat collar or harness with ID firmly attached. Something to chew on to relieve stress would be good too.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ella peed her crate. But it was a 4 hour flight and she was 3 months old and alone in the cargo :(

So maybe some extra towels or smth to clean up mess if it should happen.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ella peed her crate. But it was a 4 hour flight and she was 3 months old and alone in the cargo :(

So maybe some extra towels or smth to clean up mess if it should happen.
Tucker will a few weeks shy of a year old by the time we fly out so I don't think peeing his crate will be an issue. His crate has a removable liner and I'll have a small blanket with me so should be covered in case of an accident.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.