Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 12 weeks Aussie/border collie mix. We are doing basic obedience and it’s going well. I can tell he’s going to need a job and as Indianapolis hosts the flyball champs every year, I’d love to get him involved.
I am having trouble finding much info on getting into the sport. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hello all,
I have a 12 weeks Aussie/border collie mix. We are doing basic obedience and it’s going well. I can tell he’s going to need a job and as Indianapolis hosts the flyball champs every year, I’d love to get him involved.
I am having trouble finding much info on getting into the sport. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 249881
Sorry that I can't help..but he sure is beautiful!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Beautiful dog.
A word of caution: you should not even think about actually starting training for a sport like agility or flyball until the dog is as least a year and a half old, preferably two. If you start early before the growth plates are closed it will do serious and long term damage to the dog.

What you can do, though, is start training him just to retrieve a ball you roll across the room on the floor. Make it a game the puppy loves to play and that will be your foundation for future dog sports like flyball.

If you think you might want to do agility, make a tiny easy little course in your home or back yard, with things he can step (not jump) over, a hoop he can walk through, a mini tunnel he can walk through, and so on. Just make sure there's nothing he has to jump over, and nothing he could fall off that is more than a few inches high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful dog.
A word of caution: you should not even think about actually starting training for a sport like agility or flyball until the dog is as least a year and a half old, preferably two. If you start early before the growth plates are closed it will do serious and long term damage to the dog.

What you can do, though, is start training him just to retrieve a ball you roll across the room on the floor. Make it a game the puppy loves to play and that will be your foundation for future dog sports like flyball.

If you think you might want to do agility, make a tiny easy little course in your home or back yard, with things he can step (not jump) over, a hoop he can walk through, a mini tunnel he can walk through, and so on. Just make sure there's nothing he has to jump over, and nothing he could fall off that is more than a few inches high.
Good ideas. We’ve stared on tennis balls and he loves them. We’re in puppy classes as well. I want him to be as well rounded as possible but he’s definitely going to need an outlet. Good idea on the little agility course.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Good ideas. We’ve stared on tennis balls and he loves them. We’re in puppy classes as well. I want him to be as well rounded as possible but he’s definitely going to need an outlet. Good idea on the little agility course.
Please be careful with regular tennis balls. They are like sandpaper for your pup's mouth, and can puncture when bitten hard, causing a sudden release of pressure.. There are loads of made for dogs balls available..like these.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please be careful with regular tennis balls. They are like sandpaper for your pup's mouth, and can puncture when bitten hard, causing a sudden release of pressure.. There are loads of made for dogs balls available..like these.

Yeah, the doggie ones are what we have.

·
Registered
803 Posts
North American Flyball Association | About Flyball I have friends who belong to the Steel City Flyers. either website can direct you to a local club that teaches flyball. Firefly and I started flyball training a few years back. She enjoyed it but I quit because of the concussion and repetition of the turns on the box. I did not think that the physical aspects of the sport would be good for her health as she aged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts