Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It's not misinformation, and it was advice. They can use that advice how they wish. It's just that simple. Sounds like they are running out of any other options and getting frustrated. So, it's an option if they so choose.

·
Registered
332 Posts
For the last time, you claimed that your antioxidant dietary supplement would solve their flea problem. You absolutely cannot provide any evidence to support that, and can't refute anything I posted that disproves your claim.

So, no. It's not an "option". It's misinformation. You're not helping. Please stop.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Here's the thing. People come to this forum looking for advice from more experience dog owners, trainers, breeders, etc. They are looking for quality information that will help them raise their dogs.

In this case, the OP was asking why his dog was getting re-infected with fleas, and what to do about it. Instead of addressing the issue, you chose to provide a bunch of misinformation, based on your particular agenda about dietary supplements. When asked to provide some basis for your recommendation, you provided a word wall of non-facts.

You got caught out. Cope.
She was just trying to help that's all she wanted to do there was no reason for you to get so defensive. @naturalfeddogs just wants to help. Maybe there are more then one way to look at something. It has worked obviously or she wouldn't have put it on here. Experience counts for a lot of things.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
OK, maybe you can explain how antioxidant food supplements repel fleas.
I can't but I do know just because its not something I have personally done or experienced doesn't make it wrong. If there is more then one way to look at something then that's great. More then one solution to the problem. More the merrier. Just in case the first one doesn't work then I have other options to try and hope that helps. Life isn't black and white there is a big grey area in there. Why would solutions for our animals be black and white they won't.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
OK, maybe you can explain how antioxidant food supplements repel fleas.
Last time and I'm done- antioxidants play a huge role in the immune system in both people and dogs. For dogs, a healthy immune system will help repel fleas and other parasites. Fleas prefer to feed on the blood of ones with weaker immune systems. Internally, a healthy immune system also resists parasites as well.

People who eat antioxidant rich diets also have much stronger immune systems, and resist sickness much better. That's basic nutrition 101.

Rather than spend all this time arguing and begging for some sort of proof (which you would still argue about anyway), go google antioxidants and the immune system and see what you find. You must really want to know..you keep on...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Last time and I'm done- antioxidants play a huge role in the immune system in both people and dogs. For dogs, a healthy immune system will help repel fleas and other parasites. Fleas prefer to feed on the blood of ones with weaker immune systems. Internally, a healthy immune system also resists parasites as well.

People who eat antioxidant rich diets also have much stronger immune systems, and resist sickness much better. That's basic nutrition 101.

Rather than spend all this time arguing and begging for some sort of proof (which you would still argue about anyway), go google antioxidants and the immune system and see what you find. You must really want to know..you keep on...
You keep making statements as if they were true. Please do your homework before giving misleading advice. Based on your advice, people will spend money on "cures" that are baseless and cannot possibly work. I'm trying to help avoid that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can't but I do know just because its not something I have personally done or experienced doesn't make it wrong. If there is more then one way to look at something then that's great. More then one solution to the problem. More the merrier. Just in case the first one doesn't work then I have other options to try and hope that helps. Life isn't black and white there is a big grey area in there. Why would solutions for our animals be black and white they won't.

Actually, there's been plenty of research on what attracts fleas to animals, and their whole life cycle. There's also plenty of good quality research on how antioxidents work - what they do, and what they don't do.

Wouldn't you agree that we should give new users advice based on actual facts? Should we recommend that they spend time and money on "cures" that can't possibly work?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Actually, there's been plenty of research on what attracts fleas to animals, and their whole life cycle. There's also plenty of good quality research on how antioxidents work - what they do, and what they don't do.

Wouldn't you agree that we should give new users advice based on actual facts? Should we recommend that they spend time and money on "cures" that can't possibly work?
You know I do but I'm not looking it up for you. As stated there is proof even a way to look it up Now that being said there are some people who look through life with a tunnel vision and there are some people who look through life without any blockage in their site. Im done I was trying to help but I see some things are just not worth it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here in the UK you can get herbal supplements like Billy no Mates which are supposed to repel fleas. I was going to use that along with the occasional Capstar but was lulled into a false sense of security because my last dog couldn't have flea treatment due to her poor liver health - yet she never got fleas. Anyway Ben started scratching last night so I gave him a Capstar and had a good look today. Yes flea dirt - not only that but a live one albeit a bit slow. :eek:
Today I'm washing bedding, hoovering and treating areas either with Acclaim or bicarb and salt. When the vets open tomorrow, will pick up some 'real' stuff - like Advocate. I hate using chemicals but this needs dealing with while I do some research on alternatives.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Isn't there some controversy about this? Allegedly it has caused side effects and deaths. There is a Facebook page on the issue and there is or was a petition to get it taken off the market..
I have no idea. I don't have a Facebook but my dogs don't have fleas and this is what I use. And they are all healthy and happy

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't use Facebook either but the name Bravecto rang a bell so I googled it and up came Facebook and the Petition as well as other sources. So I'm thinking there must be something to it. Any dog (or person) has the potential to react adversely to any drug but in the circumstances I can't risk it - more so as it stays in the system for up to 3 months.
https://www.change.org/p/https-www-...-market-without-delay-source-location-minibar

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't use Facebook either but the name Bravecto rang a bell so I googled it and up came Facebook and the Petition as well as other sources. So I'm thinking there must be something to it. Any dog (or person) has the potential to react adversely to any drug but in the circumstances I can't risk it - more so as it stays in the system for up to 3 months.
https://www.change.org/p/https-www-...-market-without-delay-source-location-minibar
Thanks You could do Simparica it's what I used before Bravecto. I also had to use Advantage topical with it

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks You could do Simparica it's what I used before Bravecto. I also had to use Advantage topical with it

Thanks I never heard of that. I am probably paranoid but my old dog developed a liver condition and the cause was most likely one of her meds. Plus re the spot ons I am not convinced that applying a systemic insecticide monthly doesn't have the potential for damage in the longer term. Unfortunately when a dog develops liver or kidney problems etc it is usually impossible to be specific about a cause.
But just now I have to deal with any fleas :eek: so back to the chemical cosh while looking at more natural alternatives for the future. He has had a Capstar tablet for two consecutive days with no ill effect and today I picked up some of the evil Advocate :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks I never heard of that. I am probably paranoid but my old dog developed a liver condition and the cause was most likely one of her meds. Plus re the spot ons I am not convinced that applying a systemic insecticide monthly doesn't have the potential for damage in the longer term. Unfortunately when a dog develops liver or kidney problems etc it is usually impossible to be specific about a cause.
But just now I have to deal with any fleas :eek: so back to the chemical cosh while looking at more natural alternatives for the future. He has had a Capstar tablet for two consecutive days with no ill effect and today I picked up some of the evil Advocate :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
All of the flea chemicals, topical or oral have the strong potential to cause liver damage and failer. These meds are given so much, over and over again, that the liver can't do it's job, which is to filter toxins. Therefore, liver damage, among other health problems. I used to, but no longer use any chemicals. I'm just not willing to take the risk.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.