Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never ever had flea problems with Mia.

When I got Delilah she was covered in fleas from the shelter --> rescue --> transport. I bought Vet's Best Flea and Tick Spray which kills fleas by contact which is Peppermint Oil, Clove Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Benzoate, and Water. I sprayed her and myself and everything in my car all over and it works like it says it does. I could see the fleas trying to climb out of her fur and just dying within seconds of spraying it.

I bought De Flea Pet Shampoo which is Dioctyl Sodium, Sulfosuccinate, and Underclynec Acid and she's gotten a few flea baths since getting her.

Lastly, she's also on K9 Advantix.

None of these things seem to be working long term because I keep finding fleas and flea dirt on her, no matter what I do.

The spray works to kill them, but she HATES it, she struggles and cries and screams, but it's not that bad, very mild, she doesn't seem to have any physical reaction to it. She must hate the smell or something.

I just don't know what to do, they keep coming back. It's so gross. I'm actually looking forward to winter.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
They are likely in your yard, and you'll have to treat it. It might be worth it to contact an exterminator to see what they recommend, but if you want to go more natural try food grade DE. For the house you can also use the DE, or you can try a bug bomb that works against fleas, or some sort of flea powder. You can also put a cut up flea and tick collar in the vacuum bag or canister and vacuum like crazy, making sure to get along the base boards, all the furniture and under the furniture as much as possible.

Whichever method you choose, and I'd personally go with the more natural method of DE and vacuuming before trying the exterminator and chemicals, you'll need to do it at least once a week for a month or two, since you need to kill all the fleas as they morph into adults before they have a chance to lay more eggs and start the whole cycle over again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts