Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on this forum a few weeks back with our pup who has been having issues chewing himself. He was diagnosed with fleas and we have been treating him for them ever since, but it seems to be a losing battle.

We give him the monthly spot treatment on his back but it doesn't seem to be working from what I can see. He is still clearly bothered by fleas and I still see them on him fairly frequently. Why could this be? I was told these spot treatments are extremely effective and work almost immediately. We are using one called Advantage Multi if it matters.

We have tried fumigating our apartment but I feel it is a pointless battle. We live in an old building full of pets, so fleas are never going to be eradicated in my opinion. I feel it's more likely to treat our dog than the environment.

Are there any other treatments I can try?

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I've heard the topicals are becoming less and less effective in certain areas due to resistance being built up.
Both my dogs are on Nexgard (an oral) and they've never had any fleas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard the topicals are becoming less and less effective in certain areas due to resistance being built up.
Both my dogs are on Nexgard (an oral) and they've never had any fleas.
Is that a monthly treatment similar to the spot, but just a pill? Is it an OTC product is prescription? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
Nothing topical seems to work on my friend's poodle. She's tried numerous ones, and they all failed to work for more then the first few days. Her vet advised her to keep her on the Advantage Multi II and also use a Seresto collar, that combo also failed. She finally convinced the vet to give her an oral one, and ended up with Trifexis, that one has finally done the trick and we haven't seen fleas on the dog since she started using it.

Advantage Multi II does work on my dog, BUT he got to the point that he was running and hiding as soon as he saw me getting out the vial. I have switched to Nexgard and so far so good, it's been 5 months since he's been on it and no fleas or side effects. I do not want to use Trifexis on him since I like to have at least a month between the flea treatment and the heartworm treatment, I think it may be easier on his body to not be overloaded with so many preventatives all at once.

I do know the bad reviews about Nexgard, there's even a thread on here that's loaded with them, but I also know that ALL the preventatives have those types of reviews. The bad thing about Nexgard and other oral preventatives is that if the dog has a reaction usually all that can be done is supportive care, there's no washing it off. I just make sure to give my boy the Nexgard when I'm home during the week and in the morning, that way if he does happen to have a reaction I'll know it right away and my vet will be open and I can take him in.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
Is that a monthly treatment similar to the spot, but just a pill? Is it an OTC product is prescription? Thanks
You have to get Nexgard from the vet, as far as I know it's not sold OTC, and yep it's a pill.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Unfortunately reactions are a risk of all medications. My Aussie has been on it for almost two years and has never had any side effects at all, so it really depends on your dog.

As @Rain says, you need to get it from your vet. I give it on the first of every month.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
We ays had awful side effects when we used all those chemical products, and fleas on top of that seem to he building a resistance to them, depending on where you live. We have been using Wondercide spray this summer and its been awesome. Not only do fleas stay away, but its also a good coat conditioner as well. I get mine from either amazon or wondercide. com. Some pet stores carry it as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I also use an oral preventive with Tucker. He's on Bravecto for fleas and ticks. It lasts 3 months, and it looks and tastes like a treat. No side effects since Tucker's been on it. He also gets Advantage Multi as a heartworm preventative, I think that one also covers fleas... That one is topical every month.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My dog is on Bravecto for fleas and ticks and on Proheart for heartworm since January 2016. Her third dose of Bravecto (also a flavored chewable treat type) is due at the beginning of November and, knock on wood, haven't seen any fleas or side effects on her.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your responses! There's a few options it seems I can go with next.

As for Nexgard and Bravecto, they both seem similar products. It turns out I can buy them online so I would not need to visit my vet to get a prescription. Is it worth going to the vet anyway? I can't imagine they could tell me anything I wouldn't know (the risks, basically).

Serento collars seem a good next step but so far I've failed at finding anywhere to buy it here in Canada. Worst comes to worst I can buy it from the US, but it usually winds up being expensive doing that.

Thankfully I don't like in a heartworm prominent area so I don't really need to worry about that.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
Nothing topical seems to work on my friend's poodle. She's tried numerous ones, and they all failed to work for more then the first few days. Her vet advised her to keep her on the Advantage Multi II and also use a Seresto collar, that combo also failed. She finally convinced the vet to give her an oral one, and ended up with Trifexis, that one has finally done the trick and we haven't seen fleas on the dog since she started using it.

Advantage Multi II does work on my dog, BUT he got to the point that he was running and hiding as soon as he saw me getting out the vial. I have switched to Nexgard and so far so good, it's been 5 months since he's been on it and no fleas or side effects. I do not want to use Trifexis on him since I like to have at least a month between the flea treatment and the heartworm treatment, I think it may be easier on his body to not be overloaded with so many preventatives all at once.

I do know the bad reviews about Nexgard, there's even a thread on here that's loaded with them, but I also know that ALL the preventatives have those types of reviews. The bad thing about Nexgard and other oral preventatives is that if the dog has a reaction usually all that can be done is supportive care, there's no washing it off. I just make sure to give my boy the Nexgard when I'm home during the week and in the morning, that way if he does happen to have a reaction I'll know it right away and my vet will be open and I can take him in.
Teach me to post late at night! That should have been a week and not a month:eek:

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
@Knapman47 - The only real difference between Nexgard and Bravecto is that Bravecto is good for 3 months, and Nexgard is given monthly.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Any medication carries the potential for side effects. Depends on the individual dog. We tried trifexis on Samantha, it really worked as far as the fleas, she had none,but, after about five months she seemed somewhat listless after I gave it to her. Each month she seemed to react more then the month before, then one month after her dose, she looked disoriented, and lost control of her rear legs. Fortunately she recovered, but needless to say she never got trifexis again. Then we tried nexgard. That too went well for about four months or so, then she started acting lethargic and wasn't eating well. Again each dose seemed to produce worse symptoms, until what was happening was undeniable, she would eat nothing for days after her dose, and was moving all ahead at about 10%. We now are back to the frontline liquid, and though its kind of a PITA to use, Samantha has no noticeable side effects, and if its applied correctly she remains flea free.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for all your responses! There's a few options it seems I can go with next.

As for Nexgard and Bravecto, they both seem similar products. It turns out I can buy them online so I would not need to visit my vet to get a prescription. Is it worth going to the vet anyway? I can't imagine they could tell me anything I wouldn't know (the risks, basically).
I don't know about Canada, but I tried to buy Bravecto online once and it did ask me for a prescription during check out, but that could also just be my inexperience in buying meds online or Canada has different regulations, or they changed it since then (it was March 2016).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know about Canada, but I tried to buy Bravecto online once and it did ask me for a prescription during check out, but that could also just be my inexperience in buying meds online or Canada has different regulations, or they changed it since then (it was March 2016).
Aha, perhaps you are correct. I've never bought dog medication online so I just assumed if they had it available anybody could purchase it. I guess if we go down that road we will find out. It does seem a bit odd you can purchase these online when they can have damaging (event deadly) effects.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I talk about fleas then most the top fleas and ticks products are not that much effective because those insects are immune to that medicines so, nowadays most of the people were saying that I bought this product but it's not working on my pet. so, that's how k9 Advantix II comes in a picture to kills those insects. I used to apply frontline plus, k9 Advantix and nexgard on dogs. but now, it's not that much effective. I strongly recommend Bravecto chews for dogs which is dog loves to eat and it's quite good compared to spot on solutions. Furthermore, I am also using frontline gold, advantage multi.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts