Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So around June 20th my in laws watched my dog over night and my brother in laws cat for a week. The only pet they have of their own is a bird.

When my brother in law picked up his cat he said it had fleas.

We are pretty much being blamed for it sigh... none of my cats are showing any sign of fleas. My dog was not showing any signs of fleas at the time or before that. We had visited a few times after that and now my dog does have fleas. Right away I washed her bedding, gave her a flea bath and later gave her flea meds. None of my cats are showing any fleas still.

The problem is that my in laws house is now insanely infested. So for like a month with no pets in their house they still have a horrible flea problem. They used bug spray around the house but it is not working. My mother in law is even getting bit up badly.

I have only had a flea issue once like 10 years ago since then I keep fairly up to date on meds for everyone to prevent it. So I don't know a ton about fleas. But I find it strange that they have such a bad infestation when they have no pets there. Even if it came off my dog or his cat, I don't see how it could be that bad!

Any advice or tips that I can share with them?

//rant... I am also kindof really upset about this entire thing. We are the crazy animal people when most of the family has like no pets or one and we have a dog, 5 cats, guinea pigs and rats. They think we are nuts. So ofcourse it must be our fault not my brother in laws cats.... ugh

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
They are going to have to treat the house and yard at the same time, if they don't they just chase the fleas from one area to the next, and they are going to have to repeat the treatment every 2 weeks for the next month or two in order to kill any newly hatched fleas before they can breed and start the whole thing over again.

I'd treat the yard with an appropriate yard treatment, and flea bomb the house. Once that's done the real work begins, they're going to need to wash all bedding, and they'll have to vacuum the floors, paying special attention to corners and base boards (fleas can hide in cracks and crevasses) they'll also have to vacuum their furniture. I'd put a cut up flea collar in the vacuum bag or canister, and I'd use either a flea powder or food grade diatomaceous earth on the floors and furniture.

Again they'll have to repeat the treatment every 2 weeks for a minimum of a month because you have to break the life cycle Understanding the Flea Life Cycle | petMD

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.