Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'll try to be as brief but as detailed as possible, if that makes sense.

I recently inherited my late uncle's Yorkie and I am new to the whole "dog owning thing"

I visited my sister whose cat kindly shared some of her fleas with my pup so I gave her a flea shampoo that I bought at the chemist. But she was still super itchy. I put a flea treatment that you put between the shoulder blades type thing. That was last week.
Then today, after a long muddy walk, I was compelled to bathe her again and I decided to use the flea shampoo again and I spotted one on her head. I caught and killed it.

I know I'm not supposed to bathe her more than once a month for her skin but if the fleas persist, should I bathe her again?
And even though I put that treatment liquid between her shoulder blades, is it okay if I use Frontline spray as well, or would that be toxic?

Sorry for the long post but thanks for reading and thank you in advance for any advice you can give me!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
By 'that flea treatment' between the shoulders, you mean???? Usually that, at least to me would mean frontline, which is a liquid applied one a month. You are correct, that too frequent bathing will cause skin problems, one every 3 to six weeks should be ok. I still have to give Samantha an Omega 3 supplement to prevent itchy skin.If you have already applied frontline, and you are still having flea problems, I would consult a Vet, before doing anything else. No medication is without side effects, and too frequent application can cause problems.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You can use a flea comb and comb out the adult fleas and flea eggs but you still may have a problem without consulting a vet. I had to do this flea combing for about 2 weeks daily on my cat when he was a kitten because he was to small for flea medicine or a flea dip.

This is the one I used:

·
Registered
951 Posts
First, make sure there isn't some residual flea population in your home that is reinfecting your dog.

Get a shallow dish and fill with water, now add a few drops of dish soap. Fleas can walk on water unless you break the surface tension with dish soap. Next put the pan close to a heat source. A good option is to set the pan on the floor and put a table lamp with swinging arm shining just above it.

Homemade Lighted Flea Trap | 4Fleas.com

Next use a flea comb as said by user above.

Finally, 1 bath a month is a good schedule for keeping a normal dog clean. Don't view it as a hard and fast rule. If your dog needs a bath more frequently on occasion, such as getting into something really stinky or flea issues, go ahead and bath him again. As long as you aren't bathing your dog once a week if he needs it or not you are going to be fine.

·
Registered
713 Posts
FWIW- You can bathe more oft than once a month if you're using a high quality shampoo designed for dogs. If your dog had any sort of skin issue, your vet would likely prescribe a medicated shampoo to use weekly for at least 4-6 weeks until the skin is 100% improved. My Afghans have been bathed every 1-3 weeks for their entire lives without any issues.

If the frontline wasn't enough to get rid of the fleas then I would bathe with Dawn blue dish soap and follow it up with a good conditioner. Be sure to treat your house as well, all dog beds and soft toys should be washed (the Dawn can be used as soap in most washers as well), vacuum all the dark places under furniture & base boards and between couch cushions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts